How Many #'s Fit in 10gal Rubbermaid Cooler??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Working towards a Barleywine in the next few weeks and I was looking for guidance on how many #s of grain would fit in a 10gal round rubbermaid cooler?? I have had as much as 15# in the cooler, but I am not certain how many #s we can go to.
Does anyone know the max#s you can fit in a cooler like this?

I have done 25 lbs for a parti-gyle brew day and capped with another 1.5 lbs after the first runnings in my 10 gallon round Igloo cooler which has about the same dimensions. The first time I did this my efficiency was abysmal because I could not stir the mash properly. I got a stainless steel paddle and this fixed the problem and made the brew day somewhat stress free.

Note taht with all that grain, and the thickness of the mash, you are more prone to stuck sparges though it was not terrible on my system, I fixed this by stirring and recirculating a few times to get all the wort out.

I just did 22lbs and 7.5 gallons with is 1.36quarts per pound. Probably had room for another gallon and a half. It was a ***** to stir tho. Busted out the drill mixer

Sounds great. I was hoping to do a partigyle and use the second runnings for a small beer. recipe is shaping up to be about 22#s,, 18#Marris, 2#Vienna, 1#Crystal90, 1#FlakedWheat.. Mash @150 for 90minutes.

42 lbs in a 10 gallon? I don't think that will work but please post if it does

22+18+2+1+1? That's how I read it? I'm on mobile some things don't translate well

I refuse to post while drinking anymore.

Edit : I was closer then premevci. :)

phoenixs4r said:
I refuse to post while drinking anymore.

Edit : I was closer then premevci. :)

Lol if you re read his post his recipe is 22lbs I'm just messing around with ya nothing personal

I don't get it I am dead on and your twenty off how are you closer?

Because we are so ass backwards in this thread we aren't referring to the same post. I was refering to the one below, lol.

:ban::mug::mug::ban:

Sounds great. I was hoping to do a partigyle and use the second runnings for a small beer. recipe is shaping up to be about 22#s,, 18#Marris, 2#Vienna, 1#Crystal90, 1#FlakedWheat.. Mash @150 for 90minutes.

:fro::fro::fro::fro::fro:

phoenixs4r said:
Because we are so ass backwards in this thread we aren't referring to the same post. I was refering to the one below, lol.

:ban::mug::mug::ban:

:fro::fro::fro::fro::fro:

Hahahaha I shall follow suit and not drink and post to lol

Back