How many rhizomes per pot/space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
So I bought 2 rhizomes per variety (4 diff varieties). I initially planted both rhizomes of the same variety in the same pot right next to each other parallel to each other for a total of 4 pots worth. Is that advisable to do that? Or should a single rhizome be planted per pot or per mound if planting in ground?

If you plant 2 rhizomes of the same variety right next to each other, will it eventually create one big root/crown? Or will it create a battle for nutrients between the two?

So right now, I have 8 pots, each with a single rhizome. I wonder if I should just replant the same varieties back into a single bigger pot so I’m back to just 4 pots or just stay with the 8 pots, each with a single rhizome.

Thoughts?

If you plant two rhizomes in each pot (or close together in the ground) and both grow, they won't become one plant. They'll be two plants too close together and will compete for resources. You'll only let 2-3 bines grow per plant one they get going, anyway.

I'd just plant one per pot/hill.

I went with plants instead of rhizomes but I recall reading that you should plant 2 per hill incase one was a dud. I also believe the first year you should let them grow more wild so they can build the root system better.

I went with plants instead of rhizomes but I recall reading that you should plant 2 per hill incase one was a dud. I also believe the first year you should let them grow more wild so they can build the root system better.
Correct. Let them grow as much as possible! Don’t cut them down until well after the first frost as well. When the cold comes they will store startches in the root for winter, let that happen naturally the first year and cut down after they get bridle.Now some people don’t pick the cones at the end of first year, but others say why not? I say make some beer with those babies!

Back