How many kegs do you get through off of one 5lb co2 bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Just curious. How many kegs can you get though off of one 5lb. co2 bottle? This includes using the bottle to carbonate your keg.

Best as I can recall, when I used the same 5 pound cylinder to carb kegs and serve them in my keezer, I was getting at least six full kegs per tank. Now I have separate tanks for the keezer and a carb fridge, haven't had to fill either one since the split. Could have been some good data there, but I have no idea how many kegs I've carbed and served...

Cheers!

My neighbor carbed and served 9 with his last tank. He got his 5 lb co2 tank filled up last week and it was $21. I bought a new 20 lb co2 tank from beveragefactory for about $110. I had it filled up last week for $28 at the same place. It seems the savings in refills would be worth it to pick up a 20 lb bottle. It's not any taller than a 5 gallon keg and fits in a keezer just fine.

- Destin

I was gonna say you would definately be safe if you have no leaks at 5, others are getting more, but 5 is a good safe rule of thumb for a 5 pounder. YMMV, but thats what I budget for when planning buys and brew days.
Bob

General rule of thumb is 1-2 5 gal kegs per pound of gas, depending on carb level, how much you use to purge the kegs, etc.

my first bottle got me 11 if I remember right. dont think I have matched that number since. but jumping kegs,purging and a leak will make a big of difference.

It carbed my 11th but ran out tryn to drink it. so say 10 for the win. and 1 place may fill the bottle up while the old man at the sporting goods store will cry and whine but not fill it all the way up,yet charge me more for his trouble.

Back