How many gallons of homebrew in 2011?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you guys calculate amounts by OUT of the fermenter, not IN correct?

I use the total gallons I brew.

But if we wanted to do a real side by side comparison with a brewery, then we would need to measure and tally the volume of finished product.

I think it would be ridiculous for everyone chose a precision any less than 1/2 gallon.

+11g more for me yesterday which makes about 56g so far this year. I did a blonde based on the Centennial recipe, but I used it as an opportunity to get rid of all those little partial bags left over. I'll probably have to refer to it as Cleaning out the Closet Blonde Ale.

Add 5 gallons of Munich Dunkel and 5 gallons of Vienna Lager. Hope to be trying bottles of these in one more week.

Total: 9,093.5

Oh, forgot one (already gone, but brewed it this year):

+5 HPA (APA w/ homegrown cascade hops)

= 9137

lamppa said:
you guys calculate amounts by OUT of the fermenter, not IN correct?

Nope. The vast majority of people are talking about the amount of beer (wort, actually) going IN the fermenter, and those who aren't, should be.

There are a few complications with counting the beer coming out of the fermenter, the most obvious I would think being the fact that beer can be brewed this year, but only be ready to bottle/keg the following year (and in some cases, even longer than that!). And since we're talking about how many gallons of beer were BREWED this year, unless we still want a few stragglers still adding to the total years later, it has to be done this way. And I won't even get into the issues one would face with the constant blending and topping up of beers that some people do with sours...

But mostly, it's just the logical way of doing things. When brewing from a recipe, the batch size is typically the volume of beer in the fermenter before aerating/pitching (I mention aerating because it can produce substantial foam, but some people top up with cold water after aerating, and in that case it doesn't apply). And I guess one could argue it's not even beer at that point, but that's just picking nits. Heck, everybody leaves some technically drinkable beer on the bottom of the fermenter anyways, so why shouldn't that be counted? We're talking about the amount of beer brewed, not the amount of beer bottled/kegged/otherwise meant for consumption. So not only is this the easiest/timeliest method of keeping track, it's also the most logical based on both the wording of the OP, and what specifically comes to mind to most experienced homebrewers when we talk about batch size.

flipfloptan said:
Just brewed my first ever batch.

NB Sierra Madre 9162 + 5= 9167.

Sure hope the beer taste better than the wort. Needs to mellow!!

+5 AHS anniversary hefeweizen
+5 AHS anniversary kölsch
=9177

+5 G Cream Ale
+5 G Stone Self Righteous Clone
+5 G Irish Red
+5 G Belgian Pale ale
9379.5 + 20 = 9399.5

+10 Cream of Three Crops
+10 Centennial Blond
+10 Bee Caze Haus Ale
+5 Some kind of Irish Red
+5 Tap Room American Brown Ale
+5 NB Breakfast Stout
+5 Papazian's Toad Spit Stout
+5 Papazian's Honey Lager
+5 Papazian's RU Kidding Me? Pilsner
+5 South Street Belgian Witbier
+5 Sour Cherry Wheat
+5 Fat Tire Clone
+5 South Street Hefeweizen

9399.5 + 70 = 9469.5

Ok, so how many are actually for HIM?? Oh, and do you have any cute (single) friends that either like to brew, or drink home brew?? :D

LOL!! Just saw your post. All the weird ones (with ginger and orange and honey) are mine. And I'm discovering I am kind of a minority, a female that enjoys homebrewing and drinking it!!

Back