How Many Cups of DME are there in 1 lb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well one cup = 8 oz. one pound = 16 oz. so 2 cups per pound... sorry I had to do that

and because I was a smart azz I decided to go measure by volume... there were 2.1 ish ounces of dme in a 1/2 cup...

so around 2 cups per pound, alrighty. I have seen some varied responses on here and wanted to make sure. I knew 16 liquid oz were in 1 lb I just didn't know if that held true for DME also.

Thanks!

Wait...about 2 oz in 1/2 cup makes 4 oz in one cup. If there are 16 oz in a pound doesn't that mean 4 cups DME per pound?

8 fluid oz in a cup of water does not mean 1 cup of DME weighs 8oz. For water, 1fl oz does weigh 1 oz but basically everything else in the world does not share this relationship. Big difference in fluid ounces and weighted ounces. The only accurate way to measure it out is to use a scale. In addition, how much you pack into 1 cup could be different than how much I pack in 1 cup, therefore more variation into the equation. Once you do it enough times you will get an idea of how much it is for you, but until then, I say weigh everything out.

-JQ

Yea, sorry, fluid ounces do not equal weight ounces. One is volume, one is weight. You should be measuring all of your dry ingredients in weight, not volume.

Sooo; the answer is it depends? Has anyone actually done this? I have been buying 3 LB bags and 1 LB bags at the lhbw. It's be really nice to save pesos and buy only 3 LB bags. I find it hard to believe there is variance among the manufacturers of DME.

This is why we have dry weight measurements and fluid measurements. There's no accurate answer. Depends on moisture content, how well it's packed, etc. Buy a cheap scale and Weigh it. You can use the scale for your hops as well.

This is why we have dry weight measurements and fluid measurements. There's no accurate answer. Depends on moisture content, how well it's packed, etc. Buy a cheap scale and Weigh it. You can use the scale for your hops as well.

ok. Have you found a scale that works for both the low end and the high end? Right now I need to weigh hops ( 1/4 OZ) and DME (pounds). I have found Taylor thermometer products to be inaccurate and am a bit wary of them for kitchen scales. I assume when I get to weighing base grains at 10 LBS I will most likely use the bathroom scale.

I get six 1/2 cup measurements from a pound of DME. I store them in ziploc bags ready to go for starters...so 3 cups (roughly) of DME per pound. But I certainly wouldn't use that to measure out weight from a big bag of DME for a recipe, get a scale. If I'm off a little +/- for a starter it's not a big deal.

ok. Have you found a scale that works for both the low end and the high end? Right now I need to weigh hops ( 1/4 OZ) and DME (pounds). I have found Taylor thermometer products to be inaccurate and am a bit wary of them for kitchen scales. I assume when I get to weighing base grains at 10 LBS I will most likely use the bathroom scale.

There are so many quality digital food scales out there for $20-$40. They will do hops to the .05 ounce. When measuring base grains, I do 2 lbs. at a time (32.0 ounces)

I bought my scale at Harbor Freight for $20. It weighs in grams, ounces and pounds. I can weigh from a couple of grams(not sure of the minimum) to 11 pounds. I use a plastic margarine tub that holds about 2lbs at a time.

It has seemed accurate and consistent enough for my uses.

weight and volume differ by what's measured. A pound of feathers takes up more space than a pound of lead. You just have to weight it out.

I got 3.25 cups of Briess light DME in 1 pound. I packed it fairly loosely, which is probably why I got more cups per pound than smalliewader and phuff7129.

I use a $20 digital scale I got at Walmart. It measures up to 10lbs in kilograms,pounds,grams & ounces. Plenty for weighing what I need to up to partial mash so far.

Latest posts

Back