how many bottles for 5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Can someone give me an idea on how many 12oz. bottles that I need to buy to bottle 5 gallons of my first Christmas beer? I need to bottle Sunday so I need to buy tomorrow.
Thank you.
John

You're going to drink 50 bottles of beer between tomorrow and Sunday?:mug:

That's awesome. Unless you're buying empty bottles. Why anyone would pay for beer bottles without the beer inside is beyond me.;)

Oh, and I also use the "10 bottles per gallon" rule. By the time you factor in loss due to trub, racking, a final hydrometer sample, and all that junk, it's a pretty good estimate. Keep a couple extra bottles on hand just in case.

My last batch hadn't been measured very well and I bottled 57 bottles from it. Would you rather have too few bottles and dump part of your beer or get a few more and have some left over for the next batch?

5 exact gallons in the bottling bucket is 5*128ounces. That's 640 ounces. Divide by 12oz in a bottle and you get 53.3 bottles. In reality you'll get 48-50.

johnthemc: Have you been to Simply Home Brew in Drums? Pete has a lot more brewing stuff than Beer Solutions in W-B.

If you have 50 you can count on having more beer left over than you want to pour out. I'd buy 3 cases, and then buy 2 cases of Sierra Nevada over the next month ;)

5 gallon batch:

12oz bottles - 48-50
14.2oz bottles (Grolsch) - around 43
16oz bottles - around 39-40

Back