How long to wate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman13

Reaction score
I brewed a "Red Moon" last night
Not my 1st beer more like my 12th
Home from work and I do not see any movement in the airlock
Checked Lid, it's on tight (pushed down, and seen airlock movement)

5 gal Brew has
6# DME
mormal Hops loading
59oz of Trop50 Red Orange Juice
1oz dry bitter orange
1oz Chrushed Coriander

Used WL 550 yeast

Pitched @ 85F

How long should I wate before I re-Pitch?

That yeast enjoys a fairly warm fermenting temp, 68-78F. I wouldn't worry about re-pitching at this point, still early in the cycle and the yeast are having a little reproduction festival going on right now. In a day or two they will be hungry and ready to eat everything.

You'll be fine. If you're really concerned take a gravity reading at 7 days and only repitch if it hasn't moved at all.

Don't panic. If you didn't use a starter (which you should have), then it can take 48 or as long as 72 hours for fermentation to kick up. Additionally, you still need to check your gravity instead of assuming that there is no fermentation based on the airlock activity.

With going out of town this weekend I was not to sure how long I had
would not like to dump one (havent yet) it's not the cost, it's the time spent

What ever you do...DONT DUMP! There is a very good thread by REvvy about the Patience of Beer Brewing

Don't dump, just pitch more yeast. Leave it over the weekend, check the gravity. If it hasn't moved pitch more yeast.

Patience you say, I just (3 weeks ago, put the 1st in the chill chest tonight) bottled a RIS I had in the 2ndary for 9 months
I have Patience, and I love good beer

Remember, an airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge, it's a vent to release excess co2. Not bubbling doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening, just that co2 is NOT going out of the airlock with enough strength to do anything. It doesn't MEAN anything.

The only gauge of fermentation that is accurate is a gravity reading.

But at only 24 hours it's too soon to worry about. Did you not happen to notice THIS STICKY at the top of this section of the forum? Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. (And by visible signs they DON'T mean airlock bubbling).....

It's talking about you.;)

Relax, modern yeast rarely doesn't work for us....That's one of those old wive's tales.

Back