How long to wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsaholic

Reaction score
Racked 1 gallon of my nut brown onto 4 oz of werthers original hard candies in 2 growlers with airlocks after 3 weeks in the primary. My FG was 1.011

My question is how long should the beer sit in the "secondary" on top of the candies before bottling The werthers are completely dissolved after 24 hrs. No visible bubbles through the airlock.

your primary fermentation is done, you probably wont see bubbles at all. Give it a taste and see if its to your liking....i dont know if you leave it any longer that it will gain more flavor as they have already dissolved.

If you're using an ale strain and your temp has been steadily above 60, fermentation of residual sugars should be finished.

That being said, I don't know what kind of byproducts you will get from addition of candies.... the more I brew the more time I give my yeast to "clean up" their mess. Fermentation isn't just about bubbles... there's a lot else going on. Another 1-2 weeks won't hurt a thing.

Thank for the help

My concern would be bottle bombs. I'll give it another week and then bottle with carb drops and hope for the best.

I have no idea how the beer will take to the by products of the candies. This is why I chose to only rack 1 gallon and see what happens

Thanks again

Looks like they have 17 grams of sugar in 39 grams of candi, so in 4 ozs, you have less than 2 ozs of sugar. Probably fermented already.

Back