How long to wait before pitching new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryznic

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed a 1.072 OG batch late last night. My last 2 batches have been infected, due to a scratched up bucket (I hope). Now I have a new batch of beer and it has been 5 hours shy of 24 hours since I pitched a Wyeast smack pack.

Now the smack pack swelled up nice and good (I have never used these before) and I tossed it into nice aerated wort roughly 68-70F. I have yet to see any bubbles in the air lock. Usually when I use the Safale dry yeast I action the next morning I wake up. Maybe this type is different I dunno but I'm a tad worried because of my last 2 epic fails and I am losing my confidence.

Should I worry yet? If I wake up tomorrow and see no activity by morning should I pitch a new batch of yeast? I'm probably risking wild yeast by then taking over no?

I hope it kicks up soon but I thought I'd see what the pro's have to say.

Thanks!

I would wait until (at least) near the 48 hour mark. I had two no goes I've mentioned elsewhere from smack packs (the yeast was dead upon arrival). I waited for 48 hours and I took a reading. Only after my reading confirmed that nothing was indeed happening did I make the decision to use dry yeast. EDIT: My smack pack also didn't swell up as well as yours did imagine, which led me to suspect that during the 1.5 month or so shipping process, my yeast bit the dust.

From what I understand, if you pitch a smacker without making a starter, fermentation can be a bit sluggish in taking off.

RDWHAHB!:mug:

No need to worry yet. Note that dry yeast has more yeast cells then a slap pack: so they do tend to take quicker if you're not pitching from a starter. Lag time is much less of a worry about infection then your sanitization procedures. Give this batch the benifit and let it go: if you then have another infection, then post again and we'll eliminate the other likely candidates (the only infection I got was from a bum plastic bucket).

Just be patient... if it was going in the smack Pack it is viable live yeast. Depending on the yeast and the recipe it may tak a while to get going.

Back