How long to wait before drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All, I am finally getting back into brewing and kegging after a long absence. Once I transfer the beer to the keg how long do you wait before drinking it? I am speaking mostly of IIPAs and such. I can force carb them use priming sugar. I was just wondering how long they should sit before I tap them.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

I start sampling my IPAs on about day 2 in the keg. :)

I burst carb a little by putting it on the gas at 30 psi for 24-36 hours, then purge and reset at my normal 12 psi for my system. I sample then when I purge and reset the regulator, first by pouring off the first few ounces of hops debris and sludge. Then I sample to see where it's at. By the next day, it's usually fairly clear and decently carbed but improves over the next few days.

I burst carb a little by putting it on the gas at 30 psi for 24-36 hours, then purge and reset at my normal 12 psi for my system. I sample then when I purge and reset the regulator, first by pouring off the first few ounces of hops debris and sludge. Then I sample to see where it's at. By the next day, it's usually fairly clear and decently carbed but improves over the next few days.

At what temperature do you do the 30 psi?

When you say you sample it, do you already have it hooked up to your taps or do you try it before you connect it? I ask because I only have 2 taps and I am trying not to tie one up for 10 days or so. I hope that makes sense.

Not sure why it posted twice.

Last edited:

When you say you sample it, do you already have it hooked up to your taps or do you try it before you connect it? I ask because I only have 2 taps and I am trying not to tie one up for 10 days or so. I hope that makes sense.

Oh, yes, it's hooked up! If you have room in the kegerator, you could attach a picnic tap to that keg for sampling. I'm usually drinking it pretty well by day 3 in the kegerator if it's an IPA.

Back