How Long to "Lager" a California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDarcy

Reaction score
I brewed a California Common on February 2, and I have to say it tastes great thus far. It sat in primary for just over three weeks and for a variety of reasons (time, travel, other logistics) went to keg on February 23 and has sat under pressure since then at 40F. Of course, I've sampled a couple pints... Anyhow, my question is, how good will this beer be in late April? I want to pour at a local homebrew event, and am worried that unless I save (i.e., don't drink) this particular batch, I won't have enough beer to go around then. So, how long can a California common lager at 40F under pressure in a keg? Thanks in advance!

Also, am I doing any harm to the beer by leaving a picnic tap attached to the keg? At this point, I only plan to use it to pull off samples. Or, should I just remove it if I want to save it until April?

It's just under 12 psi. No leaks that I can see. I just figured I might as well carbonate while lagering. I guess my question is, will the picnic tap make the beer any more or less susceptible to nasties while it sits for a month or more. And my main question was, will the beer hold up OK (or even improve?) if it stays kegged and at 40F for two months? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In late April this beer should still be good. You may lose a little hop aroma and flavor in that time. It will definitely be nice and clear by then. As long as you purged the keg headspace with CO2 after filling you shouldn't have problems with oxidation. And have a picnic tap will not effect the quality of the beer, but as mentioned, there's a chance it may leak. I'd remove the tap if you don't plan on drinking it until April.

Back