How long to degas in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
My Shiraz has been sitting in the carboy for 2 months now and there's a thin layer of lees on the bottom. It's time to rack it off the lees. I used a drill initially to do some degassing but I wasn't extensive with this because I intended to age in the carboy and allow it to degas there. Now I'm wondering if I might bottle it and age there, but I don't think 2 months would have allowed the degassing to take place. How long does the process usually take?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My Shiraz has been sitting in the carboy for 2 months now and there's a thin layer of lees on the bottom. It's time to rack it off the lees. I used a drill initially to do some degassing but I wasn't extensive with this because I intended to age in the carboy and allow it to degas there. Now I'm wondering if I might bottle it and age there, but I don't think 2 months would have allowed the degassing to take place. How long does the process usually take?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's usually not gassy after a couple of rackings. If it's already been degassed a little, and it's been racked a couple of times, it might not be gassy at all. You can take out a small sample, put it in a hydrometer tube, and shake it (with your hand over the opening). If you hear a 'puff' when you remove your hand, it's still gassy. If not, and it's not bubbly when you look at it, it should be fine.

Gassy wines are temperature dependent as well. You'll have a lot more residual gas in a wine that has been at 60 degrees than one that has been aging at 75 degrees.

Back