How long to carb a 1/2 full keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Reaction score
I usually set the pressure to 10-12psi for 3 weeks. Using only a half full 5 gallon keg should take how long to carb? The same or 1/2 the time?

I believe if the surface area is the same, it would be take the same amount of time as if it were full. Maybe if it were on it's side it might be a different story, but I'm guessing that's probably not an option.

Curious about this one myself, as I'm going to end up kegging 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon corny in the future.

I believe if the surface area is the same, it would be take the same amount of time as if it were full.

winner winner chicken dinner

The RATE of carbonation would remain the same but only half the amount of gas needs to dissolve so I'm going with about half the time or just over a week to reach full equilibrium.

The RATE of carbonation would remain the same but only half the amount of gas needs to dissolve so I'm going with about half the time or just over a week to reach full equilibrium.

I'm with Bobby. Rate of carbonation is primarily based on surface area and the mass transfer rate across the CO2/beer interface. This is unchanged with a 1/2 keg. But since you only need 1/2 as much gas to carbonate it, it'll take 1/2 the time.

I'm with Bobby. Rate of carbonation is primarily based on surface area and the mass transfer rate across the CO2/beer interface. This is unchanged with a 1/2 keg. But since you only need 1/2 as much gas to carbonate it, it'll take 1/2 the time.

+1 Otherwise the whole "volumes of CO2" thing is a total sham...

Cheers!

Bobby_M said:

That makes perfect sense, especially after reading your writeup on force carbing. Thanks.

I'd been second guessing my initial response but couldn't decide exactly why. Thanks for setting us straight. :eek:

Back