How long is your "hose"? I know it's a bit perdonal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Powell

Reaction score
I am building a single tier system loosely based on Brutus...I have read the build article for Brutus in the BYO magazine but either glanced over or it wasn't stated to how long the 1/2" silicone tubing should be cut for each barrel. I have 35' of the stuff and want to know what the optimum length might be to cut it into? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Boxers Brewing

I'll be damned! My parents used to own a lot there. Beautifull bakdrop with the Sierra Nevada moutains,& the Rio Grand runnin through. Gold trout in there!
Check out the diy sections down below. There's a couple forums that deal with setting up those systems.

We brew on the B3 1100, and while it's not exactly the same as the Brutus, the design is basically identical. We replace our hoses about every 12 months, and cut each one to 3 feet from kettle to pump. I'll post a pic to better clarify.

image-776714972.jpg

squirrelly, thx for that info...I was looking at pics online here and was thinking 3 to 4 feet would probably do the trick. Home many sets of hose do you generally use during the brew process?

I do a recirc in the mash and a recirc sparge, so all the hoses get used the whole time. During the lautering I just switch two hoses from kettles to pumps, but the configuration pretty much stays the same. It's HLT with the infuser-Sparge arm-pump 1- mash then HLT-sparge arm-pump-pump-BK. I'm not sure about the configuration on the Brutus though. Are you doing RIMS? All together I'm using 6 hoses at 3 feet a piece with the exception of the sparge arm-sparge ring that's 10 inches.

I do have a pump to recirculate the mash...I think I am going to have to two tier my set up for a while till I can get the second pump...I think you just answered the question...about six hoses should do the trick.

You know for the money you might be happier just eating the 150.00 bucks and getting the second pump for single tier. I thought the same thing you did, and I am really happy I chose to go with the extra pump. In fact I just bought a third pump on eBay that is used for running the cooled wort into the conical. I won the auction for 119.00. It's not high heat, but it doesn't need to be. It's just for transfers on the cold side.

Back