How long is too long to secondary with adjunct spices/vegetables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyDude

Reaction score
Having some 23rd hour troubles with my delicious Mexican Chocolate Stout. I have been content with a higher than expected FG until now, when I am hoping to bottle.

Brewed: 8.5lbs LME + 2lb chocolate/barley/caramel/black steeping grains + 1lb lactose. US-04 yeast dry pitched. Primary fermentation around 60F (maybe 62) for 17 days. Transferred to secondary with adjuncts (ancho chilies, cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans, cocoa nibs) 11 days ago - at higher temps (high 60's? [the weather factored into my brew temps - cold snap during primary, warm spell during secondary]). The OG was 1.065. I read a 1.030 when racking to the secondary and 7 days later. Today, it read 1.027...

I really want to bottle this before the secondary period hits the 2 week mark, namely to get the beer off of the peppers.

So, I'm dealing with two issues: 1) the FG is getting weird on me and leads me to fear bottle bombs. I could re-pitch yeast, or let it sit in the secondary longer to completely ferment out (if that is indeed the case to be had), but this leads me to 2) I've got my veggies in my beer for longer than I am comfortable with, hence the my title question.

Not sure what to do. Should I transfer to another secondary? and re-pitch some yeast? ...will re-pitching kill the existing flavors??

how long is too long to have the ancho chilies, etc., sitting in the beer? will the spice max out or get ever-hotter? will this s*** get moldy on me?

I went big for my second brew. any help is appreciated. Gracias!

Taste it. If you are happy with the flavor, go ahead and move it to another secondary - assuming you want to let it go a little longer to make sure it is done fermenting. Or let it ride if you want more flavor from your additions

Latest posts

Back