How long has this been out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So about 5 bucks for a 2L starter vs. $2 in DME. I just don't find starters that annoying but I keep it very simple - boil directly in the flask for 5 min, directly into a stock pot with ice bath. I often do them while I'm making dinner and it's no big deal, usually cooled by the time we're done eating.

edit: I assume you need to use them right away? what if you want a 1500 ml starter?

They're fairly new, iirc they came out maybe a month or two ago.

Not really a fan. Too expensive, still has to be diluted since the og is1.080~ from memory.

I just saw these as well, yesterday I think.

I agree they are WAY to expensive. I prefer bulk making starter wort and canning it in 1 qt mason jars. You can make a bunch at one time, and you basically have what NB is selling, sans the "cool" art work.

I'm more interested in trying this. No need for a starter at all with 200 billion yeast cells.

imperial.jpg

I'm more interested in trying this. No need for a starter at all with 200 billion yeast cells.

Depends on what you're brewing and the viability of the yeast inside from the production date... If you're doing a lager or anything high gravity then you would most definitely still need more than 200 billion.

Yeah, they are a little pricey, but so is my time. I have an electric stove, so no flask on the burners. In a pot of water....pain in the butt. My kitchen is a mess when I make starters and I hate cleaning up too. And, I surely don't want to take the time to can my own. 10 bucks for a 4 pack doesn't seem that bad though. So, I may give it a go next time I need a starter.

Yeah, they are a little pricey, but so is my time. I have an electric stove, so no flask on the burners. In a pot of water....pain in the butt. My kitchen is a mess when I make starters and I hate cleaning up too. And, I surely don't want to take the time to can my own. 10 bucks for a 4 pack doesn't seem that bad though. So, I may give it a go next time I need a starter.

Has your spouse ever let you cook a meal?

I find making a starter a clean cook as long as you don't let the DME fall out of the bag in a cloud of dust.

That's very interesting, @Hammy71 thanks for linking to it, I'd not seen this before.

So, when you add the water, do folks think they need to boil the water first or just pour it straight in.

That's very interesting, @Hammy71 thanks for linking to it, I'd not seen this before.

So, when you add the water, do folks think they need to boil the water first or just pour it straight in.

I went to Midwest Supplies for a White Labs presentation a little while back and they were showing us these. They said the used distilled or bottled water in the shop for the most part and just mixed it straight in.

Yeah, I like these too. Wish I had a pressure canner but I don't. For the ease they're quite nice. Even better are the new White Labs' Pure Pitch! Love those things.

Has your spouse ever let you cook a meal?

I find making a starter a clean cook as long as you don't let the DME fall out of the bag in a cloud of dust.

The real answer....No. My princess can't cook and I learned 25 years ago when we were married, if I wanted to eat something that wasn't burnt or in a box....I had to cook it. The kitchen is MINE.... LOL And I still hate making starters

I learned a long time ago that if you are dragging out the dme and the pots for boiling just make a way bigger batch than you need immediately, then just bottle the remainder like you would your beer! Now you have your OWN starter, ready to go, when you are!

Back