How long for oxidation to occur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I moved my APA into a secondary yesterday, and I'm concerned about the amount of head space causing oxidation. It's a Brewers Best bucket, and I have 4 gallons in it. FG was stable when I switched it over, so with now CO2 filling the gap, should I be concerned?

Don't worry be happy that you are almost to bottling. The oxygen in the headspace is negligible compared to the amount that you'll pick up in transferring (splashing)... Which is also very small. In fact the yeast may rise up and ferment one more point or so and get rid of whatever residual O2 you have anyways. You'll be fine.

Even in secondary, there will be some CO2 escaping from the beer so that will push oxygen out. If it is just sitting there and you aren't sploshing it around and agitating it, you'll be completely fine with nothing to worry about.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease...but I freaked out and bottled it ;)

Wish I had more self control...but, well, you know...

Still tastes great, and it had 3 weeks in the primary, so I don't feel too bad about succumbing to bottling.

For future reference, for standard American ales with Cali or similar yeast that don't need dry hopping, you can get away with 2-2.5 weeks in the primary and bottle. The darker the ale, typically the less conditioning time required.

Back