How long does uncrushed grain last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjai

Reaction score
Long story short I had some kids and never got around to brewing a batch I'd purchased. I've got 2 batches including yeast, but I'm pretty sure the yeast is toast (dry yeast packets). The grain is uncrushed, since I mill my own. I've had it for about 18 months. Is it still good? If still good I might chance the yeast and see what happens, then just get more if it turns out to be a dud.

What do you wager on the yeast? It has been in the fridge the whole time.

What do you wager on the yeast? It has been in the fridge the whole time.
What yeast is it. What is the expiration year on the package. More than likely still good if it was in the refrigerator all this time unless the yeast was well beyond the expiration date when purchased.

Rehydrate the yeast before use.

Could try a starter the night before you brew to see if they fire up, and if they do, you will have a better shot at getting enough cells for a proper start.

I vote for making a starter from it too. If you put the whole pack into a 2-3 qt starter you'll very quickly find out if its good or bad because the whole pack should ferment that tiny volume out in only 2-3 days. So, you can set up the starter a week in advance and if it turns out a dud, you have time to pick up a new pack of yeast from a LHBS.

Back