How long do you use your buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
How long do you go with a fermenter bucket before you replace it? I'm starting to get some fermentation issues (funky smelling/tasting, odd-looking). This latest batch was 10g split into 2 buckets. First bucket is awesome! Second one, not so much. The only difference is the fermenting vessel. So that one is banished to the bottom of the grain mill. Some of these buckets are 4+ years old. So no loss.

I use better bottles (3) differing ages with the oldest 2 years +. I have had no issues. So my answer would be; immediately after I get an experience like you just had. Buckets or Better Bottles are not that expensive that I would risk batches if I thought I had a contaminated fermenter.

I had some issues recently that I traced to either my water or contaminated buckets. So I changed both. If you even suspect you have an issue with a bucket, toss it. They're way too cheap to lose a batch over.

I've been using the same buckets I've had since I started brewing almost five years ago without issue. Some of my current buckets have been picked up along the way and aren't so old, but I don't keep track of which ones are which. Basically, if it's clean inside and smells OK, I'm OK with using it.

I've had my plastic fermenters going on 3 years. I soak'em clean in PBW,rinse,then sanitize with Starsan. Then on brewday,I soak the spigots in PBW,scrub with aquarium lift tube brushes,rinse,soak in Starsan & reassemble wet. Then rinse the whole fermenter with Starsan right before pouring chilled wort. Never a problem.

I get food grade buckets free so I toss them pretty often. I have 5 in rotation and toss the oldest when I get newer ones.

I've thought about this, myself. I've noticed that my oldest ones are starting to scratch from the lid, but haven't had an issue yet. Mine are quite new compared to those above.

I've not encountered a problem in my 25 or so batches, but I would suggest a soak in Oxi clean followed by a soak in bleach water before I replaced any of them.

I've used the same bottling bucket and the same 1/4" vinyl hose for transfers since 2007. Immediate oxiclean followed by a rinse with water and air-dry, then rinse with Star-San and air-dry before storage.

Oh man...
My oldest bucket is about nine years old, followed by a seven year old bucket, then I've got two that are a couple months old.
My oldest carboy is nine years old, followed by a seven year old carboy, and a six year old carboy; however they are glass.

I have an auto siphon that is about eight years old, as well as the tubing that's connected to it.

I've had no off flavors as of yet, but I'm a stickler for sanitation; I'll probably toss the older buckets when I move to a 12 gallon batch RIMS setup and pick up a larger fermenter, but until then I like having several items fermenting at the same time - my current record is 32 gallons at once, considering it was all 2gal, 5gal or 6 gal batches that aint too shabby.

If in doubt, throw it out. er..keep them around for storage however. I love Gama Lids. They make old fermenters into great bulk grain storage. $10.49 per lid is expensive but they save your fingers and knuckles.

I end up moving my old buckets into my sour fermentation workflow. Pretty much any piece of equipment that is still 'good' but I don't trust with a clean beer gets demoted/upgraded to be used for sours. Or grain storage with gamma seal lids.

Back