How long do you keep a blow off tube on your fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samson's Brew&Ski

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im fermenting a high gravity beer so I needed a blow off tube for the beginning of my fermentation. Now that it has started to slow down a bit, I'm wondering if its a good idea to swap back to an airlock to possibly let the brew breathea bit easier or if it doesnt matter and just keep the blow off tube for the whole duration of the fermentation(Blow off tube around 3 feet). Im not sure if having a blow off tube for a long duration does anything or if Im just crazy for even thinking this, lol.

Thanks bubsssss

I need to replace the lid for another one to place an airlock, so I usually remove it when fermentation has slowed down but still active

I stopped using a blowoff or airlock.
I use a blichmann sounding valve and leave it at 1-2psi for earlier fermentation and then turn it up towards the end to carb

I leave mine on the whole time. Think it is a 3/8 ball lock? At any rate, drilled a hole into the top of a mason jar, put a grommet into it with a piece of tubing that I just leave in there. Use a stainless connector I got off amazon to connect the two pieces of hose together. I think the concentration of the Star San I've been using in the blow off jar is too strong tho cuzz it ends up being kinda hazy after 2 weeks and I feel like it is potentially eating away at the hose? 🧐

I leave mine on the whole time. Think it is a 3/8 ball lock? At any rate, drilled a hole into the top of a mason jar, put a grommet into it with a piece of tubing that I just leave in there. Use a stainless connector I got off amazon to connect the two pieces of hose together. I think the concentration of the Star San I've been using in the blow off jar is too strong tho cuzz it ends up being kinda hazy after 2 weeks and I feel like it is potentially eating away at the hose? 🧐
interesting. ive been just using distilled water.

So what happens if the krausen rises to reach the spunding valve?
I'd think it'd clog immediately, and then the real excitement happens :D

The whole point of a blow-off hose is to avoid drama...

Cheers!
I also have a prv at the other end of a tee.
About 10 brews on this setup and the whole tee and spunding valve have been spotless every time.
Maybe with a pound or 2 of pressure during fermentation the krausen doesn't get THAT crazy.
It works for me and I'll continue with it for now.
A more convoluted approach with more pipes and valves could make it easier to start on blowoff nd switch to spunding without oxidizing my beer.
Something to look into later for me

Once I bother setting up the blowoff tube and jar, I don't mess with it again until it's time to keg. I'm speaking generally of recipes that finish out in two weeks. Even for beers that take longer, I don't risk introducing oxygen by switching to an airlock, I see no reason for it.

In retrospect, all the 7 gallon fermonsters I bought when I was into bottling are kinda too big now that I'm kegging; I wish they were all 6 gallons to eliminate the excess headspace.

The co2 filled bag allows co2 to enter the headspace during cold crashing rather that air. The idea being to keep oxygen from contacting your beer causing oxidation. If you cold crash, the the space above the liquid cools reducing pressure and pulls gas (air) into the fermenter unless some other source is provided.

The co2 filled bag allows co2 to enter the headspace during cold crashing rather that air. The idea being to keep oxygen from contacting your beer causing oxidation. If you cold crash, the the space above the liquid cools reducing pressure and pulls gas (air) into the fermenter unless some other source is provided.
I've rigged my blow off to exit into a 5 gal fermenter to collect the co2. Airlock is l loop of silicone pipe with a little star san inside. This allows me to see the activity. The star san doesn't get pushed out or sucked in due to height of the tube above the loop which allows it to fall back even under active fermentation. Additional standard airlock on plastic fermenter for sealing & venting.

IMG_7633.JPGIMG_7630.JPG

All is good as long as air can't get back in the fermenter when cold crashing. If you use the 5 gal pail as a source of co2 during cold crash air will get into it through the airlock.

All is good as long as air can't get back in the fermenter when cold crashing. If you use the 5 gal pail as a source of co2 during cold crash air will get into it through the airlock.
Hi. Yeah, I realise its not fool-proof but at least its not 100% air like it would be by just removing an airlock on the top of the fermenter. Just trying to give it a fighting chance by collecting some co2.
Looking a kegging soon so will be able to fully purge & pressure transfer :bigmug:

If you put a plastic bag in the ferm. bucket capturing the open end in the lid seal it would fill with co2 then before crashing pull the airlock and plug the hole. This would allow only co2 to be pulled back as the bag collapsed, you would need to have a small hole in the bucket though to equalize the space outside the bag.
I think I might set this up, thanks for the bucket idea.

If you put a plastic bag in the ferm. bucket capturing the open end in the lid seal it would fill with co2 then before crashing pull the airlock and plug the hole. This would allow only co2 to be pulled back as the bag collapsed, you would need to have a small hole in the bucket though to equalize the space outside the bag.
I think I might set this up, thanks for the bucket idea.
That's a good idea & has now got me thinking to your inital post.
I leave the tube on but remove the end from the starsan jar and attach to the CO2 filled bag to cold crash

If I could start off with the 'collapsed' bag within the bucket, with the blow off tube going directly into the bag (tied off tightly around the tube). I could leave the airlock/lid off the bucket, allowing the bag to inflate & deflate. There may even be enough captured co2 (5 gal if I use a bin liner) to get sucked back in to replace the beer at the bottling stage. I have a GF Conical which has a draw off tap at the bottom so no need to take the lid off to syphon out from the top. :mug:

I've rigged my blow off to exit into a 5 gal fermenter to collect the co2. Airlock is l loop of silicone pipe with a little star san inside. This allows me to see the activity. The star san doesn't get pushed out or sucked in due to height of the tube above the loop which allows it to fall back even under active fermentation. Additional standard airlock on plastic fermenter for sealing & venting.

View attachment 711875View attachment 711874
have you brewed a lot of high gravity beers? Wondering if the 5 gal bucket holds enough blow off krausen from the fermentor.

awesome set up btw. looking to build around the same thing for my set up but for everything, the fermenter, boil kettle, HLT and grain bin all together

have you brewed a lot of high gravity beers? Wondering if the 5 gal bucket holds enough blow off krausen from the fermentor.

awesome set up btw. looking to build around the same thing for my set up but for everything, the fermenter, boil kettle, HLT and grain bin all together
Only done a couple of high gravity beers & as yet have not had any krausen blow out. Came close on the last barley wine brew as it left some residue on the inside of the lid but non in the tube. It would almost have to explode to fill a 5 gal container.

on the inside of

That's a good idea & has now got me thinking to your inital post.

If I could start off with the 'collapsed' bag within the bucket, with the blow off tube going directly into the bag (tied off tightly around the tube). I could leave the airlock/lid off the bucket, allowing the bag to inflate & deflate. There may even be enough captured co2 (5 gal if I use a bin liner) to get sucked back in to replace the beer at the bottling stage. I have a GF Conical which has a draw off tap at the bottom so no need to take the lid off to syphon out from the top. :mug:
I believe a 5 gal fermentation will exceed the volume of 5 gallons maybe even 10. Its amazing the volume of co2 produced

Back