How long do i keep the blow-off tube hooked up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinisterdeer

Reaction score
Brewed my 1st batch of beer last night. Woke up this morning to foam in the airlock. I have sanitized the blow-off tube and hooked it up to my airlock.. but how long does it stay like this?

The honest answer is "as long as needed:".... but usually primary fermentation for ales is 2-3 days.

I never need a blow off now that I have learned to control my fermentation temp and have fermenters with antiquate headspace.
That being said there are a few yeasts that are known to blow off!

Best of luck with the 1st brew!!!!

Few examples
Blowoff-1.jpg
Blowoff-2.jpg

When I started I used 6.5 gal fermenter. Never had blow off problems

I would agree that a 6.5 gallon fermenter is generally big enough for a 5 gallon batch, without blowoff. But as @Tobor_8thMan sais, YMMV. Some other factors are fermentation temperature, wort gravity, and yeast strain.

I now use the 7 gallon FerMonster, that might seem like too much headspace but I'm always done in 10-12 days so I think the risk of oxidation is minimal.

5 gallon batch, 7.5G kettle..I didn't think a blow off tube would be even remotely necessary....but I'm also very much a rookie. I took this pic after I had cleaned up a little bit and managed to put the seal back on the kettle. This was a 1.080 and the recipe called for 2 packages of S-04. When I saw the airlock bubbling multiple times a second the night previous...that should have been a really good hint. *Knock, Knock...hey dummy..*

IMG_2820.jpeg

Back