How long can I store milled grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seandamnit

Reaction score
I don't have a mill, so I need to buy it already crushed. I'd like to take advantage of free shipping at morebeer.com, so I planned on purchasing the material for 2 brew days at the same time.

However, I only have the 1 bucket, so the second brew is going to need to sit for at least two weeks before I cook it up. Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

If you have a vacuum sealer you could try vacuum sealing it. I would think that would work very well.

Should be fine. I've never had any issues with mine and I've gone at least three weeks, although the sooner you brew the better. I try not make a habit of letting it sit though.

Vacuum bag would be best or zip-lock. Remove as much air as possible and store in the freezer. The grains will be fine for a month or more.

You can store at cellar temp for months. Just keep them mostly sealed, and mostly moisture free

I bought a bunch of grains back in March, then life got in the way. Once things slowed down and I was able to brew again I have been knocking them out. I got good OGs they have all fermented to in point FGs I have tasted them at kegging and they were good...still conditioning, so I wouldn't worry too much! I'm sure they could be better, but I also sure no one will notice. Keep them in a dark cool place!

If there's any way to keep them from humidity, they'll last a long time. Even in a humid environment, weeks would be fine.

They'll last for a long time really, no worries. I've brewed with crushed grains that were a year old, I don't recommend it, but I did win a gold medal with that brew!

Back