How Long Before Repitching for Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
So I brewed an Imperial Stout 60 days ago. It's been in the secondary for 41 days as of today. It's been at a constant 66 degrees this entire time.

When do I need to start thinking about repitching yeast for bottling? I hope to be able to get to bottling it soon, however starting graduate school has really eaten up my free time...so it might still be a while! But, if it's still possible I would love to bottle before having to repitch.

Oh the yeast I used was WLP013, London Ale.

Thanks in advance!

I would not worry about adding another yeast for bottling.

If you do anything, I would draw some of the yeast cake off of the bottom of your bright tank (secondary) there still should be enough yeast in suspension for bottling.

I say this because I brewed a beer on Easter and bottled it in July, with out a second yeast !

-Jason

I've only pitched yeast at bottling one time and that brew had aged in secondary for 18 months. I've bottled many beers that sat for 6 to 8 months and never had a problem with them carbing.

I brewed a very high gravity kit from Northern Brewer that I had in primary for 2 weeks, then racked to secondary for 6 weeks. It did not carbonate in the bottles. I know I had adequate priming sugar as I made a double batch and bottled a 2nd recipe the same day that did carbonate. Should I have re-pitched some yeast for bottling, or could there be another cause? Thx.

Back