How long are grains good once crushed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
I purchased a kit last July and never got around to brewing it. It was for a spiced holiday ale. Question is, how long are grains good for once they have been crushed? They have been stored in a cool, dark cupboard in a sealed ziplock bag the entire time. Is it worth my time to even attempt to use the kit as is? Or would I be better off chunking it?

I'd say brew with it. Chances are it'll be fine, and worst case scenario you spent a brew day making mediocre beer. Oh well.

I purchased crushed grains in Oct of 2014 and didn't get around to brewing them until July or August of 2015 and all worked out fine.

I hope they last a month or two. I bought 3 kits from NB when they had the $19.99/kit sale, and I bought ingredients for another recipe shortly after that. Fermenters are full, brewing at max capacity right now.

Taste some of the grain. If it tastes like more like cardboard than cereal, you are better of dumping it.

This is good advise! Taste the grain. You will know right off if its stale and not worth using the grain. I would be worried about the hops more so than the grain though. All you can do is taste and smell. I wouldn't dump the kit. Just a few parts of the kit if they tasted and smelled off...

Cheers
Jay

I bought a pound of crushed Carastan back in October and used a few ounces here-and-there over the course of several months. Lots of opening an closing the bag, but the grains were good all the way through the last bit in April. :mug:

Worst case beer just wont be as good as it could have been.

They say crushed grains start to lose their flavour in 2-3 months of being crushed. Doesn't mean you wont still be able to make an "OK" beer.

Back