How lame breweries get started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to start a multibillion dollar tech company and I need someone who has experience in that. I don't see the need to pay some computer geek though.

I wonder if he thinks that you could use Prehopped LME and water only and make profit...

Hahahaha. That's beautiful. Taken a screen shot so I can share the funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How some of these breweries get people to invest or put up hundreds of thousands of their own money for terrible beers, terrible marketing and seemingly no real business plan whatsoever, it's just mindboggling to me.

LOL! Oh, man, I can think of a couple of characters on HBT that could play with that persons brain and put it all in a thread...

Cheers! ;)

If you want to have beer made for you and you don't want to hire a brewmaster and you have recipes, you can always have them contract brewed under your label. Pete's Brewing Company did that until it was bought out in 1998.

If you want to have beer made for you and you don't want to hire a brewmaster and you have recipes, you can always have them contract brewed under your label. Pete's Brewing Company did that until it was bought out in 1998.

I believe Schell's Brewery did some of their brewing.

Sht yeah, I'll do that! I love to brew beer so much I won't even ask for $80,000 a year! What' minimum wage at now? Deal.

I mean, brewing is damn easy. You just mix some grain and some water, wait, drain, boil, add hops, boil, chill, add yeast, ferment, move to a serving thing and BAM! BEER!

And this guy already has recipes! Work is already done. Imagine that job; go to work, kick back, drink free beer, BS with the hot chicks waitressing, collect paycheck, go home and homebrew...

Dream job!

Sht yeah, I'll do that! I love to brew beer so much I won't even ask for $80,000 a year! What' minimum wage at now? Deal.

I mean, brewing is damn easy. You just mix some grain and some water, wait, drain, boil, add hops, boil, chill, add yeast, ferment, move to a serving thing and BAM! BEER!

And this guy already has recipes! Work is already done. Imagine that job; go to work, kick back, drink free beer, BS with the hot chicks waitressing, collect paycheck, go home and homebrew...

Dream job!

Ya... I'm sure there's more to it than that when scaling up your batches. I watched episodes of brewmasters and saw hundreds of thousands of dollars of profits get dumped down the drain. And dogfish head has experienced brewers and money.

But then again, at minimum wage, you get what you pay for.

At minimum wage, he couldn't even hire me to help him rebrand by sticking his label on bottles of BMC.

Just noticed this. From the ad:

compensation: I will pay well to get the right person. This could become a permanent, well paying job.

I always love applying for a job that "could become well-paying." I could become hard-working, too, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is what I sent:

> Hey, I'm responding to your listing for a brewmaster. I think I am perfect
> for the job. I've been a homebrewer for a couple of years now. All my
> friends say my beer is awesome and they can't get enough.
>
> They dont' even buy beer from the store anymore. They just pay me to brew
> for them.
>
> I'm looking to move from where I'm at. Got lady problems if you know what
> I mean. I'm a free man now, so no worries there.
>
> I read you got your own recipes. That's great. I have some of my own
> recipes too. Maybe we can start with your recipes and try my recipes as we
> go. Here is what I have off the top of my head.
>
> Oatmeal Stout (I like it but my friends aren't into dark beers they say)
> Pale Ale (Hoppy, but not like IPA hoppy)
> IPA (REALLY HOPPY!)
> Light Beer (My friends love this one. It's really cheap to make too!)
>
> Not sure what you have for brewing stuff. I am currently using a turkey
> frier and buckets, but I got a nice 4 keg freezer so I think I can handle
> whatever you got. You might just have to show me how to use your stuff
> once or twice.
>
> Anyway, let me know! I ain't looking to make a lot right now. I gotta get
> a job and this way I can keep making beer (Which I love to do!) AND have a
> job.
>
> Oh, and I like cleaning (Except my car LOL!)
>
> -Homer

This is the reply:

How odd?

I got a crank email last night calling me a retard for trying this. I
place the brew master ad at least a month ago.

This isn't a job until I get a buyer for one of the samples produced.
I have several buyers interested, including a 300 store chain of
restaurants.

Mark in Seattle

So I guess he's not interested in my services. Apparently he can afford to be choosy with a 300 restaurant chain looking to buy his beer from his samples. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of samples he gave them and what system he is using to make them (vs the equipment needed to supply 300 stores...)

Oh well, it sounds like he's got it under control. You know with the brewing systems they have today all he has to do is press a couple of buttons every once in a while.

I fessed up. I'm not the kind of person to start a real fight, and it looks like he was on to me right from the start.

I really can't understand how he doesn't see how advertising for a brewmaster on CL is not stupid. I wonder if he is the owner of a largish brewery who doesn't get along with his current brewmaster and thinks anyone can do the job.

I wonder if the chain of 300 stores knows their potential brewery is advertising for possibly the most important position in the company through CL...

I fessed up. I'm not the kind of person to start a real fight, and it looks like he was on to me right from the start.

I really can't understand how he doesn't see how advertising for a brewmaster on CL is not stupid. I wonder if he is the owner of a largish brewery who doesn't get along with his current brewmaster and thinks anyone can do the job.

I wonder if the chain of 300 stores knows their potential brewery is advertising for possibly the most important position in the company through CL...

How is it a bad idea? Craig's list is viewed by so many people... People need jobs or want opportunity.

If I can get laid off CL, why can't he find a brewer? :p

I sent an email...

Dr.-Evil.jpg

Here is what I sent:

This is the reply:

So I guess he's not interested in my services. Apparently he can afford to be choosy with a 300 restaurant chain looking to buy his beer from his samples. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of samples he gave them and what system he is using to make them (vs the equipment needed to supply 300 stores...)

Oh well, it sounds like he's got it under control. You know with the brewing systems they have today all he has to do is press a couple of buttons every once in a while.
I wouldn't be so sure he was on to you, sounds more likely to me he is just really vague.
I want to see where this goes!

I can say this much, while at the teaching brewery I've learned that some people have more money than brains and decide they want to open a brewery. And some home brewers get a little nuts thinking they can brew a couple batches and go pro without much thought.

My point is, some people are damned crazy. This CL guy sounds like he fits the bill.

How is it a bad idea? Craig's list is viewed by so many people... People need jobs or want opportunity.

If I can get laid off CL, why can't he find a brewer? :p

I didn't mean to sound like people can't hire others on CL. Being a Brewmaster is somewhat of a specialized job. His biggest hindrance is coming off as a cheap assh0 in his ad.

He just replied back to me somewhat incredulous that he's gotten several responses past 24 hours a month after posting the ad.

My response was that he was either about to find the right person for the job, or his ad has become an internet meme.... :D

In my second email I stated the simple fact that it will take more than a monkey pushing buttons to brew beer for 300 restaurants. His reply seemed to indicate that the American beer drinker (Citing bud and miller) has questionable taste. So his sights are set pretty low on his quality already.

Still waiting to hear what kind of brewery he owns.

Choosing Seattle as a place to open an intentionally sub par brewery shows how clueless this guy really is!

em-ay-are-es-aych-ee-ell-em-oh-tee-ee-are-es dot com.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. This dude is going places, for sure. He has a guitar outfit he is taking over, too. I'll post up some emails soon. :D

Back