How is this color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20130918_175708.png

Seems a little dark to me for a hoppy American wheat. The grain bill is as follows:

Grain
-------
54.8% - Wheat Malt
38.1% - American Pale Malt (2-row)
7.1% - CaraPils

There were about seven oz. hops in the boil and four oz. in the dryhop.

It just scored 39 in a comp in Wisconsin but I haven't received the score sheets yet and don't know what the appearance comments are, but with the grain bill I was expecting something a little lighter. It still tastes pretty good.

Any ideas?

MTate37 said:
Seems a little dark to me for a hoppy American wheat. The grain bill is as follows:

Grain
-------
54.8% - Wheat Malt
38.1% - American Pale Malt (2-row)
7.1% - CaraPils

There were about seven oz. hops in the boil and four oz. in the dryhop.

It just scored 39 in a comp in Wisconsin but I haven't received the score sheets yet and don't know what the appearance comments are, but with the grain bill I was expecting something a little lighter. It still tastes pretty good.

Any ideas?

Was this all grain? Not sure what the SRM of wheat is, but I thought carapils and 2-row were both like 2. So yeah, that is darker than I would expect based on grain bill. Also, it is kinda hard to tell because it looks like it could be bad lighting. Does it look that red in real life? Looks like a fruity drink my wife would like:).

Yep...all grain BIAB. I think the red is a result of the lighting. It is more of a dark gold/light brown.

This just came to mind. I let my pipeline run dry so I wanted something with a quick turnaround, hence the wheat beer. If I remember correctly, I fermented for a week and hit FG, dryhopped for a week and then bottled. Would more time before bottling lighten the color? I know it won't clear being wheat, but will beer lighten with more time before bottling?

Back