How important to purge 02 when kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpatton

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm all set to transfer my beer into a keg for the first time, planned to use the corn sugar to carbonate for a few weeks. While re-reading my various info on it I see it mentioned that it is good to purge the oxygen at the top of the keg with CO2, unfortunately I can't fill my CO2 tank until later this week. Just fishing for opinions - is this a big deal, meaning I should wait, or is it just a nice to have in which case I'll keg now (I kinda want my fermenter back so I can do another batch today).

Thanks!
Rob

If it were me i would wait. O2 on your beer can make it taste like wet cardboard. I wouldnt risk oxidizing my beer i would wait till you get the CO2 tank filled. Look at it this way.... little extra time in the fermentor will do it wonders..... hanging out in the keg with O2 will make it $hity.

No you'll be fine. There is already a bit of CO2 in the beer from fermentation. Coupled with the priming sugar you add, there will be enough of a layer to protect the beer.

The only reason I'd say to wait is if you were filling a keg only partially, but as long as you are getting close to full (4G or more) you'll be fine.

Another thing to think about, is without co2 you can't be sure the lid is seated properly or that there are any other leaks. You might prime the keg and all the generated co2 could just leak out and never carbonate your beer.

No problem, we do it all the time. To make sure it's sealed, turn it upside down, in a day or two pull the relief a couple times to let a little air purge, then you're golden.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

When i prime my kegs (I use sanke's) I don't purge with CO2, when I "force carb" I purge. Think of it like a very large bottle, if you were bottling from a bucket would you purge the bottles with CO2?

The first batch I ever kegged I naturally carbonated and I did not purge the head space. It was also the only batch I ever oxidized. It wasn't an over night thing with the oxidation not being apparent until near the end of the keg which was about 8 weeks after kegging. I'd opt for waiting if you can.

Brewing beer is an art, as you know you can't rush art. If you take your time it will turn out great. If you rush you will kick your self. I say wait and flush your keg with CO2. Time in the fermenter will not hurt it. Also this is why I have 2 carboys.

Back