How important is clear wort into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve read the brulosophy experiment on this, and like nearly every experiment there’s no statistical difference. I have a hard time putting a lot of weight in the consistently inconsequential results.

I always use whirflock in beers that are supposed to be clear. I have a good whirlpool setup. I use the SSBrewtech BME kettle with domed bottom. I recirculate ice water for a quick cool down. It’s pretty easy for me to get super clear wort into the fermenter. Typically though, I don’t stop at the clear wort. In the past, I’ve also included the fluffy protein material into the fermenter. I do try to stop when green hip material starts going in.

Question for you guys as I’ve seen various opinions. Is it worth scaling up a recipe and factoring in about a gallon(ish) left in the kettle so that only super clear wort goes into the fermenter.

I’ve seen folks that dump it all, that use only clear wort, and a mix in between. I’m afraid I’ll have to do my own side by side test, but wanted to come here first to see others results or opinions.

After reading the Brulosophy experiment, I stopped wasting my time trying to filter out all the trub. No more clogged bazooka screens or clogged funnels with screens; just dump it all in. Glad to see the port66 experiment reached a similar conclusion as Brulosophy. Makes my life a lot easier.

If you read the scientific papers on the area, which I have, you will find that the data is quite mixed on turbidity of wort.
On one hand, high trub levels encourage faster fermentation and flocculation and can result in preferable-tasting finished beer.
On the other hand, low trub levels promote clarity and enhance shelf life. There are also studies that found low-trub beers better tasting.

A practical implication is on your yeast, if you repitch. Putting clear wort onto your yeast will let you recover clean yeast.
And if you look into how much cold break, which is the beneficial break (i.e. hot break does not improve anything), you need to get adequate FAN and fatty acid levels, you should still be able to see through the wort.

On our process level, wort that looks clear will have adequate nutrition.

I dump everything in the fermenter, hops and all. As others have said, there's a lot of info out there now that shows that it doesn't make that much of a difference, if any at all. I dump everything in and fine with gelatin and get very clear beer.

I dump most of everything from the kettle in except the hop sludge. The beer comes out fine.
Clear beer is what people are used to, but it doesn't mean good beer.

I’m not really concerned about clarity. It’s easy to get clear beer. I’m more asking in regards to flavor of the final product. Is there any difference noted in flavor.

Attachments

• 175FF9A6-018A-4949-A114-510C40119B98.jpeg
    175FF9A6-018A-4949-A114-510C40119B98.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 84
The only reason I prefer clear beer going into my fermenter (keg) is to limit the trub pickup when I close transfer it to my serving keg. I only make 4.5G to the keg and that little bit of extra cloudy wort at the bottom of my Grainfather is outside the pump pickup and CFC anyway. Bit of a non-issue for me.

As a global issue, I don’t think it makes a difference when the trub is removed, pre or post-fermentation. Either way there will be some losses — the only consideration is when they occur. Since my system limits me to a 5G fermentation vessel, I vastly prefer those losses on the hot side.

Latest posts

Back