How 'good' a cooler do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Reaction score
I'm building a new, larger MT and I found a 40-qt rubbermaid cooler in the garage. Has a drain hole so that's a plus. Do I need a Maxcold or something of the like or is it not that important? Thanks

-RS

It depends on if you do 5 or 10 gallon batches. It will work fine for both for most beers, but IPA and heavy ones, a little bigger would be better. I just picked up a Maxcold Coleman 70 quart one for $36 for my large beers.

I do almost all 5-gal batches and rarely anything too high grav. I'd like the freedom to be lazy and not sparge sometimes though :)

But get the blue one...blue makes for another couple efficiency points :cross:

Do this:

Fill it with 170º water, close it, and check the temp at 10 minutes, then at 1 hour. If you notice a big drop between those two measurements, I'd consider a new cooler.

I have a maxcold that I like for two reasons: 1. It has a threaded (hose threads) drain plug, so I was able to convert it without any cutting, and I can still use it as a cooler. and 2. It holds temps really well when doing an overnight mash.

That said, if I found a cooler laying around in my garage, I'd use it in a heartbeat before I'd go out and buy a new one. People make really good beer with cheap coolers.

10 gallon rubbermaid victory coolers require no cutting/drilling either. just a swapping of plastic spigot for brass parts. there's a whole DIY article on it.

i love my 5 and 10 gallon rubbermaids.

Good points. I'd love to not have issues with the plug (not recessed) and such, but I don't think this cooler is worth anything less if I screw it up so I'll give it a go first. If it doesn't fly, I'll buy another.

Do this:

Fill it with 170º water, close it, and check the temp at 10 minutes, then at 1 hour. If you notice a big drop between those two measurements, I'd consider a new cooler.

if you preheat your cooler you should have no problems loosing temp within 1-2 degrees.

i have a 15$ rubbermade victory from walmart. when i preheat it i rarely loose 1-2 degrees with in the time it takes to mash my grains..

I have the blue 50qt. and I can do any 5 gallon high gravity brew. I have not done a 10 gallon as of yet but the cooler works great.

DSCF0424.jpg
[/IMG]

I used an old 48qt cooler that my bro had and I gave him mine that didn't have a drain. I just found tubing to fit tight through the drain hole(not threaded) with a shutoff clamp and the standard copper manifold with slots. 75% is the lowest efficiency I've had and other than that I've been between 80 and 85%. Had spare copper pipe and tubing, basically a free MLT---except my time.

Back