How Frequent Should I Replace My Primary Plastic Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
i have heard many different stories about how many batches i should do before i replace my primary bucket. is there a way to extend the life of a bucket? how about leaving 5g of starsan in it between uses? that should cut down on the potential for infection, right?:D
i know not to scratch and all that stuff, i would like to get a consensus on this topic.
Thanks. :mug:

Scratching is probably the biggest way to shorten the life. I don't think there's a way to extend the life....other than a nice bleaching and good rinse with hot water. I sponge mine out with dishsoap and hot water. It gets the crud ring off pretty easily. I think it's a good idea to replace after every year anyway....I think I'm going that route.

I still use my original primary bucket that I purchased in 1994. I also have another 6.

As long as you take care of it, clean (overnight soak and a sponge wipe down) and store it properly (never stack them inside each other) it'll last. I stack mine with the lid just laid on the bucket (not pressed down).

I've only replaced one bucket, but that was because it got a large 5-6" slice down its side during a move. Now it's a toy bucket. :D

replace it right now with a glass carboy. your beer WILL be better. plastic breathes. just buy a glass carboy and use your plastic bucket to wash your car.

I retired one bucket because the lid seal isn't airtight.
(I admit it, I'm a bubble watcher).
I still have my first Ale Pail - 3 years old and 30-some batches.
I'm going to keep using it until I have a specific reason not to.

replace it right now with a glass carboy. your beer WILL be better. plastic breathes. just buy a glass carboy and use your plastic bucket to wash your car.

Not one of my plastic buckets has ever exploded and filled three rooms with shards of glass, including bits stuck into the ceiling. Can't say the same for my glass carboy...

I've been using the same three plastic buckets for nearly ten years without problems and I don't plan to replace them anytime soon. I would not consider tossing them unless there were problems with my beer and some indication that the buckets might be the source. Ignore the dogma and don't worry about it.

Not one of my plastic buckets has ever exploded and filled three rooms with shards of glass, including bits stuck into the ceiling. Can't say the same for my glass carboy...

Um no, that didn't happen. Don't be a drama queen to make your point. We get it that most people love the plastic. Well some of us don't. I have 2 better bottles that I wish i'd never bought. It's only glass or stainless for fermenting.

**this isn't gonna be a 'plastic vs glass' pissing match, is it?**
i do have both, glass and plastic carboys and have used buckets in the past. all have given me great beer. even when i let a RIS ferment in the bucket for three months (no oxidation issues micro or otherwise) buckets are just easier to stick your hand in and clean, and i don't have the cash for $tainle$$ $teal. i have used cornies in the past, but perfer to keep those full of beer for consumption. :D
i am looking to confirm/refute the rumors that bacteria will eventually build up in the pores of the plastic walls.

Um no, that didn't happen. Don't be a drama queen to make your point.

Please don't call me a liar. I really take offense that some stranger on the internet is going to tell me what did and did not happen in my own goddamn life.

Yes, it did happen. We had a larger diameter blowoff tube on there (can't remember if it was 1/2" or 1" now) but it got clogged up. It was lucky that it exploded at about 4am when everyone was in bed, so nobody was hurt. It made me stop homebrewing for about 12 years. I only started again after I found out people were using buckets to ferment.

There is a wine shop here that brews on site and they line their buckets with a plastic bag that get's tossed when it is racked. Scratching is never an issue and if it were, then the bag protects your brew from the bucket.

The bags come on a roll and they will sell the bags for $1 each, I am tempted to try them someday.

There is a wine shop here that brews on site and they line their buckets with a plastic bag that get's tossed when it is racked. Scratching is never an issue and if it were, then the bag protects your brew from the bucket.

The bags come on a roll and they will sell the bags for $1 each, I am tempted to try them someday.

You know, Gila does something similar with oven turkey bags. I tried it myself, but after three attempts where they leaked every single time I gave it up. I still don't know what his trick is. I do like the idea though.

The amount of O2 that could pass through the walls of a plastic bucket during the 4-6 weeks of primary is microscopic.

I'd continue using the same bucket until it got a noticeable scratch, or you had signs of an infection. They are cheap to replace if you want to though.

The amount of O2 that could pass through the walls of a plastic bucket during the 4-6 weeks of primary is microscopic.

I'd continue using the same bucket until it got a noticeable scratch, or you had signs of an infection. They are cheap to replace if you want to though.

Agree totally. I've never seen one (1) fact reported on an actual amount of oxygen that gets through the bucket. This is another example of non-knowledge generated by the "Internet Effect."

Here are the steps to perdition, in this instance in the form of a pseudo-syllogism:

1. HDPE is permeable to O2.

2. Fermentation buckets are made from HDPE.

Conclusion: My beer will be ruined by O2 if I use a bucket.

Absent an amount of oxygen, this is a NON-conclusion. If oxygen only gets through the bucket walls at the rate of 3 nanoliters in a megayear, I doubt any damage will have been done.

So, anybody want to cite an actual test?

You know, Gila does something similar with oven turkey bags. I tried it myself, but after three attempts where they leaked every single time I gave it up. I still don't know what his trick is. I do like the idea though.

These are very tough bag, they come on a large roll, not sure where you can get them stateside but any WineKitz Store in Canada that brews on site will have them.

Agree totally. I've never seen one (1) fact reported on an actual amount of oxygen that gets through the bucket. This is another example of non-knowledge generated by the "Internet Effect."

Here are the steps to perdition, in this instance in the form of a pseudo-syllogism:

Absent an amount of oxygen, this is a NON-conclusion. If oxygen only gets through the bucket walls at the rate of 3 nanoliters in a megayear, I doubt any damage will have been done.

I'm willing to bet the beer gets way more exposure to oxygen from transfers and gravity readings than it could ever get from being in a plastic bucket vs. carboy.

I've been using the same three plastic buckets for nearly ten years without problems and I don't plan to replace them anytime soon. I would not consider tossing them unless there were problems with my beer and some indication that the buckets might be the source. Ignore the dogma and don't worry about it.

100% ditto. I bleach mine whenever there are noticeable stains, but that's almost always after making a berry cider.

Wow, wildwest... you've become pretty rude over the years. Do you need a hug? :D

To crush the skeptics, I have also had a glass carboy explode while fermenting a hefe; albeit, it wasn't as bad as weirdboys scenario.

I don't know what's happened to this forum over the years, but people have just turned into such ********... it is really sad.

I don't know what's happened to this forum over the years, but people have just turned into such ********... it is really sad.

+1 I've also noticed this trend. It's apparent on other boards as well, but generally not to this degree.

http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/apte/flemishredale.shtml

Referenced in Brewing Classic Styles and Wild Ales. You could have found this in less time than it took to write that post.

http://www2.parc.com/emdl/members/apte/flemishredale.shtml

Referenced in Brewing Classic Styles and Wild Ales.

I do remember Jamil addressing this at one point, but I do think he's also noted that for beers that aren't going to age for a long period of time there is no problem with using a bucket. Not sure if that was on the Brewstrong episode regarding types of fermenters, I believe JP might have been a guest on that one. Anyway, I don't believe that I'd use a bucket to bulk condition a beer. However, it really seems the OP's original question was about getting an infected bucket. :mug:

I do remember Jamil addressing this at one point, but I do think he's also noted that for beers that aren't going to age for a long period of time there is no problem with using a bucket. Not sure if that was on the Brewstrong episode regarding types of fermenters, I believe JP might have been a guest on that one. Anyway, I don't believe that I'd use a bucket to bulk condition a beer. However, it really seems the OP's original question was about getting an infected bucket. :mug:

And if anybody wants to point out a "point" that Jamil makes, feel free. All I do is make beer at home, 5 gallons at a time. I ain't cruisin' for another Masters' Degree, thank you very much!

And if anybody wants to point out a "point" that Jamil makes, feel free. All I do is make beer at home, 5 gallons at a time.

Me too, not sure if it's me misreading this, but did what I wrote somehow offend you?!?! :confused:

I ain't cruisin' for another Masters' Degree, thank you very much!

Who would ever need more than one is what I always say! :mug:

I fill my 6.5 carboys with very hot tap water every time I clean them. I never lift them when filled with hot water. Have not had any problems so far and I've been using them for a very long time. They do scare me though. I'm not ashamed to admit that. I don't want to die. Yet.

It seems that all the people who had carboys explode used them as primaries and they clogged...the clogged blocked the airflow and pressure built up then BANG...

I've never had this happen because I always use a primary bucket for the primary.

Unless empty, I also never handle a carboy unless it is inside a milk crate first. :D

Same here. I've kept Star-San in a "Homer Bucket" for over a year with no problems. I've heard if you have hard water, that can cause problems though.

Also, I think if you are careful your brewing buckets should last years. Just be careful to not scratch them; careful when cleaning and don't stack them inside each other.

It didn't get slick but left this strange chemical/sour smell after it had been rinsed out. I'm just afraid to use it. I have no clue what my water is like.

really? not to be contradictory, but to be contradictory, this thread went downhill so fast, it made me cry sad tears and i gained nothing but a bunch of wadded up tissues.

Back