How far is your commute? (one way)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the day. Some days at home. Some days in the office 7 miles away. Most days at the campus, which is 60 miles from my house. Good part there is that I use a company vehicle and that requires only going to the garage at the office to grab one.

Then again, some days the commute is a plane to some lovely place like Morgantown, W.Va. It is quite nice there, actually.

8 mile bicycle ride to work.
Perfect distance to get in a nice ride without taking up too much time.

I had about 1 year where my commute was about a 1 hour drive. I do not know how you can put up with wasting even more of your time than that. If my commute was that far I would be either looking for a new job or a new place to live. I'm not going to waste 3 hours of my time a day even if it didn't cost me $30-$40 a day to do it.

Craig

14 Miles. Or around 15 minutes if I leave the house before 7:20am but, if I leave the house just 2 minutes late (7:22am) it becomes a 30 to 45 minute commute. :mad:

60 miles each way. About 1.25 hours to get to work and 1.5 hours to get home. But I work from home on thursday's :)

About 19 miles one way. I take public transport, so its 1.5 hours each trip...I spend 3 hous of my life, each day, traveling to and from work.

If I drove it would take about 35-40 minutes, but I can't afford the exhorbitant prices DC garages charge.

I take the bus to work and it's about 4 miles each way. I LOVE living so close to downtown Houston, however housing costs are a lot higher than the suburbs.

31.5 there and 30.5 home, the exit ramp sucks going to my building. I bet sflcowboy78 has a similar drive to mine (to and from the same cities).

Like someone else said, I really don't mind the ride, and it's when I get to listen to my podcasts (Sunday Session, Brew Strong, The Jamil Show, Basic Brewing Radio, and a couple from NPR)

When i'm in the office 4.2 miles, ~ an hour door step to door step and $1.75 on the CTA El train. When i'm not in the office a plane is usually involved :(

I have to go about 2 miles (one way) to work. I try and take the bus as often as possible because I drive Jeep Wrangler and they are not that great on gas. Sometimes the bus sucks so I just drive.

My commute (one way) has never been more than 10.8 miles, but is now 29.6 miles. It takes me about 35-45 minutes depending on how I go. I have to say it is not as nice as 10.8 miles/15 minutes, but in this economy I'll take the paycheck...

13 miles. That takes me about 25 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes in the afternoon rush hour. Just enough time to listen to a complete Jamil Podcast per day.

I quit my industry partly due to the commute. I was going 72 miles one way. Took 1 hour in the morning (4-5am) and 2 hours in Austin traffic to get home. Now I drive 25 miles 1 way, usually in less than 20 minutes. We are building a new location that will cut it to 18 by feb.

Craig

I see where this method of getting to work is suggested when gas prices are high, etc. but I have to ask. Doesn't that work up a sweat and can that cause you smell a bit, especially toward the end of an 8 hour work day?

I only have 4.5 miles, but it takes about 20 minutes to get from my kitchen to my office. I am not complaining, though. It's a fairly pleasant and relaxed drive, and it takes me within about a quarter mile of my LHBS.

TL

10 miles. 25 mins to work, 15 mins home. Maybe that's due to traffic volume, maybe it's personal motivation. ;)

Edit: Used to be 20 miles. Would take me 30 mins to get home by truck and about 45 by motorcycle 'cos I'd take the long way. :D

Lot of people that work from home.

My drive just went from 1.2miles to 12.7 miles so it was a big adjustment , but it still only takes me about 20minutes now. It used to be 2-4 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron

Craig

I see where this method of getting to work is suggested when gas prices are high, etc. but I have to ask. Doesn't that work up a sweat and can that cause you smell a bit, especially toward the end of an 8 hour work day?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am still curious about this. How can you ride a bike 8 miles to work and not be all sweaty and stinky by the end of the day. Only thing I can think of you are in such good shape 8 miles is like walking from the parking lot to your desk.

Latest posts

Back