How does this look for my first go at BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 31.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 3 11.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 4 0.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 5 -
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Will mash at 156* for 60 mins and then do a mash out at 168* for 10 mins. I found a SMaSH recipe online and just swapped out the suggested willamette hops for centennial. Tell me what you think and any possible tweaks. Btw, I cant wait to get started with BIAB!!

That is what idid for my frist biab
except i used kent goldings no dry hop
will be bottling tommrow
good luck with yours

For a SMaSH it looks OK.
For a recipe, I'd use cascade for late additions.

You won't need the mash out at all since at the end of the 60 minutes you will be removing the grains from the wort and beginning to heat the wort as you squeeze the bag to get the remainder of the wort. If your grain is milled fine enough you may find you don't even need the full hour of mashing. I've seen evidence that conversion happens rather quickly.

After my first couple brews I found that Safale US-05 dry yeast is way cheaper and about as easy. Good replacement for the smack pack 1056. Just a thought. You can go either way and this will be fine for your first. The hopping schedule is a standard method but read up on early and late additions. Some think a 30 addition is somewhat pointless as it bitters less and has very little to no flavor benefit. I am not saying change yours, I am saying go ahead with it and come to your own conclusion.

hop schedule looks a lot like the Two Hearted clone in recipes, except they do 1 each at 60, 15, 5 & 1, then ½oz dry hop for 5 days

it also looks like the SMaSH I just did with the above schedule, but ¾oz at 15, 5 & 1 to get it to 50 IBU (with no dry hop). it was my 50th birthday, so OG was 1.050, color 5.0, IBU 50 & ABV 5.0%, mashed at 150°

but yours looks tastyandgood also

Looks pretty good to me, I'll second everyone who thought mashing at a lower temp is probably a good idea.

One of my go-to beers for brewing is the clone of the Bells Two Hearted posted by GrogNerd above, it turns out consistently great in my opinion. If you are set on a SMaSH than it looks fine to me, but if you feel like it needs anything more I would use his link as a blueprint. I can verify it will result in a DAMN tasty beer.

I'll put in my $0.02 that you're going to want to mash higher rather than lower because without any crystal malts or other ingredients adding body, you don't want this beer to dry out too much. You should have some body and residual sweetness especially if you're trying to get a feel for Maris Otter malt. 156 should be fine.

sticking my nose up to the airlock and taking a whiff of Centennial is like smelling the farts of an angel

I just did a BIAB SMaSH

10 lbs Maris Otter mashed at 156 (83% Eff)
1 oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1 oz Cascase @ 20 mins
1 oz Cascade @ 2 mins
I want to say the Cascade was 7.3% AA but I cant remember(I am at work).

Yeast WLP001

End Result - Delicious

Back