How does one explain the taste of Saison "funk"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stove_Pipe

Reaction score
To other people I mean. I know the taste and love it, but I was trying to describe my latest Saison to someone at work and when I mentioned funk, he just about recoiled in disgust.

Disgusting is where I'd start. :D

Barnyard flavours (straw/hay) it was usually gets used. But those aren't very appealing descriptors either.

Who doesn't love horse blanket?
Ridden hard and hung up wet.

I like my saisons ,but agree most of the descriptors are not appealing.

I've used fruity and spicy, but some have a lot more earth and straw.

but I also like the Funk, Tear the Roof off the Sucker :mug:

I've never understood what people meant by "Saison Funk" in Sacc only Saisons. I don't get funk there. "Funky" Saisons are mixed culture fermentations. I've always thought the "funk" was the flavors of the non Sacc yeasts and microbes.

I don't think clean Saison Yeasts are any funkier then Belgian strains.

Personally, I like the Funk, and think that is the way a Saison should be.
Earthy, Fruity, Spicy, Hay, Slighty Acidic - These good Funks for me.

I only use a sacc yeasts, not Brett or other bugs. I usually tell people that it's like a wheat only the yeast that's used add a "spicy" character, not hot spicy but spice cabinet spicy. After that description they'll usually try it and most really enjoy it, even BMC drinkers.

I still don't understand what a barnyard or horse blanket tastes like but I recently made a 100% Brett beer that tasted exactly like chewing on a leather wallet with some black pepper and hops.

Describe it as "amazingly fricken yummy" (unless its one of those with some strange fruit, herbs or alien plant life in it)

And for the record. I have horses. I've definitely smelled wet horse, hay and poop, but I've never tasted them. I find no similarity in the funkiest bretty'est and buggiest of saisons. But... If there are any judges or potential judges out there who would like to sample some ranch flavors in the name of science, feel free to come over and lick my horses, feed and livestock equipment. I'll have the camera ready :)

What?!??!

What friggen saisons are you lot drinking?

It has been said before, but i will say it again: there is a huge difference between farmhouse and barnyard.

Saisons should be light, estery, and peppery. They can be citrusy, thin/highly carbed, or have some funk tartness, but not old sock or horse hoof.

Sounds disgusting.....

But whatever floats you boat.

Saisons aren't always funky, they can be clean, light and refreshing.

You can't write off an entire style just because some US breweries make bad beer and put a saison label on it. The benchmark for saison is Dupont, which will never be "dirty sweat sock city".

I might argue that none of the benchmarks taste tart or particularly "funky". They're all like really dry, peppery blonde ales.

In fact, BJCP states: "Brettanomyces is not typical for this style;
Saisons with Brett should be entered in the American Wild Ale
category."

Back