how does nottingham yeast behave?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
just wanted to know how this yeast behaves, never used it before and am wondering if I need a blow off tube. the gravity of this beer should be around 1070ish.

This yeast is a mad man. You will need a blow off tube for sure.

It usually takes off within 24hrs (i've had as fast as 4hrs). After visible fermentation usually takes about 4 days for the krausen to fall.

This yeast must be kept under 22c. Thats not just room temp either. Id recommend a water bath. Ive had it ferment at 20c room temp and the fermentation vessel read 24c. Tasted like nail polish remover and had to let it sit for a couple months in the keg before it was drinkable.

Good clean yeast especially if you keep the temps around 18c.
:mug:

-Nick

Yeah, it's a great yeast. Fast, very clean, high attenuation and performs well at low temps. I've got a batch of centennial blonde fermenting at 58 degrees - I expect it to come out very clean, almost lager-like.

It's unfortunate that they had that one bad lot, I think it has turned a lot of people off to Notty, which is a shame.

It tends to attenuate very well too, so you'll get a nice ABV on that brew. I tyipcally get to 1.005 with it. Mash temps will affect this though.

edit: you be me to it jmick

whenever i use notty, a very aggressive yeast, i'm usually doing 11g batches, and i ferment those in my 15g fermenter. it needs the larger fermenter

It's apparently a fantastic product with a history of intermittent quality control issues. When it's good, it's great.

oh, thanks for the info guys...shoot, looks like I should be shooting for the low end of the fermentation temps on this one then huh...if its at the 68*F range it'll be harsh?

I don't think you'll get harsh at 68, but you'll probably get some fruity esters that may or may not be appropriate in your beer. People like notty because it is very nuetral when fermented around 62 or even a little lower. It also finishes very dry, which can let the hops come through a bit more.

Nottingham is a catholic school girl in a boys dorm. Willing to try anything and won't leave til everyone has had some.

But occasionally you get a batch of Nottingham that is the Nun.

I have had both of the bad batches of Nottingham... and while it took about 60 hours to start fermenting, it did eventually do what it was meant to do. Even when its hurting, Notty is a work-horse.

Notty fermented out my mild within 2 days at 65 degrees. Shes a beut' Clark.

It's unfortunate that they had that one bad lot, I think it has turned a lot of people off to Notty, which is a shame.

The whole lot wasn't bad, but I guess there were a higher number of dud packets than usual. I used a packet from the "bad lot" on my last brew (OG 1.070) and it took off within 4 hours.

One batch I had went to 1.008 in three days. A present batch has had krousen for four days and is still two inches thick:D

All in all notty is probabily my favorite yeast:mug:

I love Nottingham. I use it in most of my beers. It ferments very clean and doesn't produce many esters.

Back