How Does My Grain Look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a mill for our homebrewing operation with intentions of controlling efficiency better. Here is a sample of first runs. Any grains not busted are at least cracked it appears. How does it look?

14456297684091953317826.jpg

Crush more, jmo

Agreed. I'd tighten the gap more. I usually run my mill at a thickness where the flat side (no raised characters) of a credit card can slide through. On my old Barley Crusher I had it set where the credit card (I used a blank cable TV card from the mail) would provide just enough resistance to roll the rollers and I'd get 81% efficiency almost every batch. When I moved up to the Monster Mill 2 (standard roller size) my efficiency increased a ton. So I backed off the gap a little so that now the card slides through without moving the rollers and I get 86% efficiency for nearly every batch. The standard credit card thickness is 0.030 inch, so yeah you can go tighter and all your grains don't look at least halved.

For the record, I do have two sets of feeler gauges and have used them. I've just gone back to the simple trusty blank credit card thingy as it does the job just fine :)

Rev.

Gap at 0.030" credit card setting

I must've had too many homebrews last night when testing this thing out. I was testing on small amounts of roasted barley and some caramel 60....so maybe they are just more brittle than 2 row.

14456326823641490797910.jpg

I was looking at building a motorized grain mill but after pricing out just the mill (MM2 Pro SL) plus hopper and extension then the motor (Dayton 1AGG3) I was at $640. By the time I added up the other required parts I was at $825 and decided whatever the LHBS has theirs at is fine for me! Of course this is overkill - but that's how we roll. :)

I was looking at building a motorized grain mill but after pricing out just the mill (MM2 Pro SL) plus hopper and extension then the motor (Dayton 1AGG3) I was at $640. By the time I added up the other required parts I was at $825 and decided whatever the LHBS has theirs at is fine for me! Of course this is overkill - but that's how we roll. :)

Look into a corona mill, 30 bucks shipped and a 1/2 drill and your on your merry way...

Bulk grain by the sack ftw
Cheers

I can try that next time...but this time everything is already crushed once.

How does the last run at 0.030" look?

I think that pic at 0.030 looks perfect. At least it's what my grain looks like when crushed. I use a bazooka screen and have never had any issues with stuck runoff/sparges and run clear wort after vorlaufing. Of course, things might differ on your system but I think it looks good to give it a try and see how it goes. If you do have any issues try at 0.035.

Rev.

Excellent!! Thanks for the help. I'm using a bazooka screen also. We've been counting on LHBS to crush our grain but been burned too many times. There's nobody to blame now but ourselves. We have a big day of brewing tomorrow, doing four different 5 gallon batches.

The .037 is great, much better in my opinion. I have mine set at .035.

Excellent!! Thanks for the help. I'm using a bazooka screen also. We've been counting on LHBS to crush our grain but been burned too many times. There's nobody to blame now but ourselves. We have a big day of brewing tomorrow, doing four different 5 gallon batches.

Wow, hope you have multiple burners and kettles, that would be insane to do back-to-back.....

Although your .037 looks great, I would lean toward your .030 grist, which is similar to what I do and get 80-85% mash efficiency using a converted cooler mash tun with manifold. Never had a stuck mash or (batch) sparge.

Run your smaller kernel grain (wheat, rye, etc. and flaked adjuncts) at a narrower gap, like .024-.028" for better efficiency from those grains, or much will pass through mostly uncrushed.

If you BIAB you can mill even finer.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you can build a motorized mill for less that $200 as well... I used a cereal killer and some pulleys from tractor supply with an old dc powered salvaged motor. I powered it with a $3 bridge rectifier and $7 dimmer light switch to cheaply convert the ac power to a DC waveform... It works very well with no issues to date...
I made a nice stand with pressboard from an old entertainment center I had disassembled to toss out.

As far as crush...its different for different people depending on their mash filtering system... finer you go the more flour you produce but the higher your efficiency (obviously)... like others have mentioned you can keep going finer until you have stuck mash/sparge issues... this is a key reason I use a false bottom with a bazooka tube under it, and a finer last chance braided filter inside the bazooka tube to catch the finer particles from entering my small DC pumps. with a larger pump this wouldnt be a concern. my gap is a huge .45 BTW which always nets me over 75% where I have my setpoint in beersmith but it varies... my last brew was 83% efficiency I recirculate with a rims which I believe helps a great deal to break the starches down.

I think you're getting it dialed in. WIth the bazooka set up I would set above 0.030 and 0.034-35 (mine is set to 0.035) seem about perfect based on your pictures. good luck with the big brew day!

Wow, hope you have multiple burners and kettles, that would be insane to do back-to-back.....

Yeah we built a new mash tun this morning so we had 2 tuns, two burners/boil kettles, and a hot liquor tank running. All said I think we had about 6 hours into it roughly. Kinda lost time after we hit the homebrews. :mug:

Over the 4 batches, Beersmith calculated average efficiency at 73% so I'm happy with that. There's room for improvement, and we'll work on that, but it was a good day.

I left my Cereal Killer as set by the vendor - .38" or so. Crush looks like the one you describe as .37" (which makes sense!). It seemed a little fine to me, and more flour than I had in mind, but I went ahead and tried it today. I told Brewsmith to expect my usual 80% efficiency and hit predicted og with an extra gallon in the kettle so efficiency was up some. No issues with the HERMS or sparge, so I think I'll leave it as it is.

Back