How does my crush look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptarts

Reaction score
Used my mill for the first time last night, this is what I want to see correct?
Nt3SP2U.jpg

I'm hoping you get some answers from experienced brewers, because I just started all-grain brewing a couple months ago and would like to see examples of good vs bad crush. One thing, though - you probably need to specify whether you're brewing BIAB or not.

got 68% with the batch today. not bad considering it was a 22lb of grain in a 6 gallon batch. no stuck sparges so might go even a little finer next time. Thats deffanitly better efficiency than I was getting from grain for Austin and Northern Brewer so im pretty excited.

Looks good. I crush mine a bit more and don't get any stuck sparges (My latest 6lb wheat and 6lb pilsner was fairly fine and didn't get stuck) And I generally get 70-75%.

Yeah I'd go finer, depending on your mash tun. I use a steel braided supply line in mine and rarely get stuck sparges. I grind mine so there's a good deal of powder and get 80% on avg

The thing to remember about crush is that you want the hulls whole(ish) and you want to maximize the surface are of the meat of the kernel, while keeping it large enough that it doesn't clog up your mash tun. That said, what you want is the grain part to be bigger than the holes in your screen. I generally use my driver's license as a gauge on my mill, grind a few ounces and go from there. Without knowing your system, it's had to know what the ideal crush is (which is why it's a good idea to buy a mill in crush your own grain -- very few brew shops ask what kind of screen you have before they crush your grain).

I was gonna say %70 from looking at it just now. I am no expert though. Keep some rice hulls nearby and go finer. Ideally you would see some powder, and the chunks would be smaller than wheat kernels.

..actually crushing some wheat would be a great way to test your settings.

Back