How does my crush look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
Just got my mill. Need to get feeler gauge.
How does my crush look? Is it too fine?

image.jpg

I wouldn't describe that as fine( though it would be fine to mash with). Its mostly large chunks of white. The trick is getting the white chunks as small as possible without destroying the husk. It's a good idea to have some rice hulls on hand before you test the smallest crush your process can handle.

I am on an efficiency kick lately so take what I say with that in mind. There would be some powder in that pile if that was my settings. Spraying the grain with water helps preserve the husks in a fine crush setting. If your using a roller mill you'll have problems with grains being drawn into the gap if it's too small.

I agree that you might want to tighten the gap a bit.

As grathan pointed out, you can also try spraying the grain with water (look up grain conditioning) and set the gap even tighter. As an example, I have my roller gap set to about half of the default setting (for a BarleyCrusher) and it works great as long as I condition the grain first.

I agree that you might want to tighten the gap a bit.

As grathan pointed out, you can also try spraying the grain with water (look up grain conditioning) and set the gap even tighter. As an example, I have my roller gap set to about half of the default setting (for a BarleyCrusher) and it works great as long as I condition the grain first.

It's a barley crusher I set it to a credit card just to try it. I just picked up a feeler gauge and its set at .030, the grains were Briess 2 row
What is your BC gap at?

I have started to condition my malt before milling which has greatly helped me out. You basically spray and mix about one to two percent of the weight of the grain bill in water (after spraying and mixing you wait about 10min for it to soak in). Helps keep the husks together and makes for a better sparge and such.

In the pic it appears that you have a few uncrushed grains or at least barely cracked...although it could just be the pic. As long as you aren't shredding the husk too much, i'd close the gap a bit to make sure it's all crushed.

It's a barley crusher I set it to a credit card just to try it. I just picked up a feeler gauge and its set at .030, the grains were Briess 2 row
What is your BC gap at?

I have mine set to a .019 and have brewed about 25-30 batches at that setting with no problems and no rice hulls.

I found that the default setting on the BC was pretty good for me. I did tighten mine a little so I might be more in the .035 range

Back