How do you store your hoses/tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroBrew

Reaction score
I hang my hoses to dry, but everyone once in a while they develop some mold growth that just won't come off no matter how long I soak it in PBW. So, what's the best way to store hoses? I'm thinking of storing them in a bucket of water or StarSan. Is this a good idea?

Run some (generic) Oxiclean through them, run some StarSan through them, let them air dry while cleaning other stuff, store them in a bucket. Not sure where your mold is coming from...

Thanks for the replies!

Tubing is cheap enough to replace, it's just annoying when I'm greeted by the surprise growth of mold when I need to rack something. I brew in my walk-out basement and let's just say it's not the most mold-free environment to brew in. Good sanitation practices have kept my beer clean, though!

mold will only grow when it has food. The tubing had some residual wort or beer in it . I soak in oxy then just rinse do the spin it a circle move to get the water out and let dry. If I want to store right away in the rubbermade container I will use a some isopropyl alchohol it dries the tubing out very quickly .

A nice shot or two of compressed air does wonders for drying out your hoses. If you don't have a compressor, Air Duster works too. I also roll mine up and store them in the freezer door to help keep the nasties at bay.

A nice shot or two of compressed air does wonders for drying out your hoses. If you don't have a compressor, Air Duster works too. I also roll mine up and store them in the freezer door to help keep the nasties at bay.

+1 I clean them and give them a shot of air with my oiless compressor and sanitize just before use.

I hook all of my RIMS hoses together in a loop and circulate a hot Oxyclean or automatic dishwasher detergent solution through them for an hour or two and sometimes longer. I then rinse them with hot water similarly. I have the recirc loop terminate in a tub which also contains some additional equipment and some of the smaller hoses. I then use my air compressor to blow the water out then hang them up to dry. I've been using the same hoses for several years without issues. I only use sanitizer on the hoses which come in contact with the post boil wort or water.

I rinse them out very well, swing them around some to get all but the tiniest droplets out, and keep them in a bucket. Often, I'll hang them over a door overnight to dry, and my racking setup always hangs on the top corner of some shelves. Other than my racking setup, I only use fairly short lengths of tubing, though.

TL

Back