How do you speed up your boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devasin

Reaction score
I currently have 30 minutes left in my boil and I can tell you from steeping my specialty grains, to adding the LME, to bring that (and 3 gallons) to a boil, I am frustrated kinda. I started my water on the glass top stove at 5:05 pm and it is 8:20 pm now and its hardly a roiling boil on its max heat setting. What do you guys use to get those boil times down so they are not a hindrance?

This would be a good start...

20140714_165143.jpg

Look on craigslist for a propane turkey fryer. I got mine for $25. I also bought a propane tank with a grill for $40 and now I have both.

Hate to say it, but your best bet is an outdoor burner (unless you want to go electric), another cost, but it will save lots of time.

Propane or electric full boil would be a great. If you can't do that and need to use your stove, you can try to boil less water or get an electric heat stick to supplement your stove burner.

Yeah, glass stove tops are no good. You won't ever get the power that you need. Even the plug in element electric stovetops (which still aren't strong enough 9 times out of 10) are a step up. You can manage with a GAS stove, but that's still often now powerful enough (I use a gas stove, and would like a little more boil strength).

If you cannot use propane or otherwise use open flame, you could look into using induction, or using heat sticks as indicated above. If nothing else, unplugging your stovetop and using that outlet would provide PLENTY of electricity to brew even fairly large scale all grain batches.

I'm lucky enough to have a dual ring burner on my gas stove, I've only done one batch but it seems to get the job done with 3 gallons at a rolling boil.

-- Nathan

This gets 13 gal up to boil pretty quickly. Id recommend a element to supplement stove top brewing, or move on to a full propane burner/heating element.

IMG_1277.jpg

I will vouch for the outdoor propane burner. It speeds things up so much. My old apartment had a gas stovetop, which is amazing compared to my new glass-top POS, but it still took me 4-4.5 hours to do a partial mash (45 min)/partial boil 5 gallons batch.

When I moved to my new place I got a propane burner, and my SAME RECIPES take 2:45-3 hours. The speed up in heating is insane. Faster time to strike temp. Faster time to adding extract. Faster time to boil. Just watch for boil-overs or get some ferm-cap.

If you have to be inside, get a heat stick, and just remember to NEVER plug it in while it isn't submerged in liquid.

Cheers! :mug:

Last edited:
I currently have 30 minutes left in my boil and I can tell you from steeping my specialty grains, to adding the LME, to bring that (and 3 gallons) to a boil, I am frustrated kinda. I started my water on the glass top stove at 5:05 pm and it is 8:20 pm now and its hardly a roiling boil on its max heat setting. What do you guys use to get those boil times down so they are not a hindrance?

A 220,000 BTU propane burner for $99 at adventures in homebrewing. I can have 6.5 gallons or wort boiling in 15 minutes.

Natural gas burner instead of propane if you have service at your place. No need to fill propane tanks, and NG heats almost as well.

the easiest way ive found to get a great boil going is to go do something, anything, else briefly. This will allow the pot ample time to go from flat liquid to boil over!

Watched pot never boils. An unwatched homebrew always boils over lol

Putting a lid on the kettle while the wort heats also helps. Just don't cover while boiling

This will get the water to boil faster but once the lid is removed the boil might not be strong enough.

Buy a new glass top stove. Mine does 3 gallons very easily. I haven't tried a full boil for a 5 gallon batch, and won't, because of the weight of 7 gallons on the glass.

A propane burner is a lot cheaper and boilovers outside are a lot better than on the stove indoors.

Just gonna say it, since the OP hasn't responded, it's entirely possible that the OP is in a situation similar to many of us, brewing indoors in an apartment or condo, and using propane is absolutely 100% not an option, only able to brew indoors (or even on a balcony) where propane is not only likely against fire code but also completely unsafe. Now, if the OP has the option to brew outside, then yes, propane is a good bet. But it may not be an option. However, given that the OP has a glass top electric range, then we know that more than likely the OP has the power supply necessary to brew electric. Some of us are in old, old buildings where we can't even do that ;)

Qhrimphf, I'm sorry I never responded lol. I've been super busy as of
Late and haven't really checked the thread. I live on a farm. So I can brew in my garage, in a barn, outside what have you. I'm looking for a propane burner because I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen. Hank Hill should help me out.

No worries, just pointing out that everyone responding "use propane!" may not be helpful. But obviously if you can use propane that's a good way to go. Of course, if you won't want to brew outside in the heat of summer or cold of winter, then electric is still an option. But propane will absolutely get the job done.

We have a garage that I can brew in that won't give me frostbite and will keep me out of the sun. So I am good. Now I just need to hone in what kinda of burner I want.

BUT my problem is that I want to stay away from brew kits and buy ingredients for 1-2 gallon brews. If this is the case I might as well stick to my glass stove but even then it will still take forever.

Just gonna say it, since the OP hasn't responded, it's entirely possible that the OP is in a situation similar to many of us, brewing indoors in an apartment or condo, and using propane is absolutely 100% not an option, only able to brew indoors (or even on a balcony) where propane is not only likely against fire code but also completely unsafe. Now, if the OP has the option to brew outside, then yes, propane is a good bet. But it may not be an option. However, given that the OP has a glass top electric range, then we know that more than likely the OP has the power supply necessary to brew electric. Some of us are in old, old buildings where we can't even do that ;)

I'd like to know how propane is "completely unsafe" on a balcony???? That's nuts........

I use a 2500 watt floating heater I built. It runs on 220 volts, and cuts my time to boil on a 2.5 gallon batch down to 8 minutes from mash temp. I also use it to reach strike temp quickly.

H.W.

I wasn't clear. Propane inside is completely unsafe. Propane on a balcony is often against fire code, at least in urban areas.

Plus usually against HOA policy. Most condos and apartment complexes won't even let people have grills on a balcony unless it is on the first floor.

Using a burner on wood is safe. Using it on a balcony is safe, as long as the burner isn't close to a wall. You do have to worry about boil over which is more a concern for someone sitting underneath your balcony. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want boiling wort to drip on their head. The burner could tip over which is another thing you would need to worry about. They are pretty stable but that one fluke accident can cause a huge problem. You trip stepping out the door and your leg knocks the propane line and knocks over the burner which is on. I don't believe they have a tip over shut off. Obviously something like this rarely happens (if at all) but it is a possibility. Weird accidents happen all the time.

I wasn't clear. Propane inside is completely unsafe. Propane on a balcony is often against fire code, at least in urban areas.

First off, I'd like to express my sympathy for those who live in anthills. It's a lifestyle so alien to me that I have difficulty relating to it. Presumably it is a lifestyle that provides for all your needs....... Or at least most of them....... the office cubicle expanded slightly into a living space. A place to sleep, ****, shower, and shave, cook meals, watch TV, and procreate the next generation, even further removed from real life and more dependent on this perverse system that enslaves Americans. Each man or woman having their own niche and specialty, and paying others to do everything outside that niche.
I grew up among ranchers and farmers, with the "can do" mindset.... Like them, I can build a house, fix a car or tractor, grow a crop, operate a drilling rig to drill my own well (I've owned two of them), drive a truck or a tractor, or run a combine or swather, run wiring, flood irrigate, fix a center pivot or wheel line, drop in a septic tank and run a drain field, fix a furnace, design, weld and fabricate tools and equipment, deliver a lamb or a calf, or probably a human baby, treat an injury, get a pickup or truck running, build a computer from pieces, and countless other things.
I knew homesteaders in my early years, lived where refrigeration was the spring house, and a cistern and pitcher pump provided water to the sink, and the Monarch stove was the hot water heater, the pot belly stove the home heating system, and the oil lamp was the light. Where we ran outside barefoot in the snow to the outhouse, and bathed once a week in a galvanized wash tub. Where the crank telephone was the latest technology, and the tube radio was connected to a wire strung through the trees. I listened to Ma Perkins and Gunsmoke on the radio. We carried water bags on the grill guard of our car, tools and baling wire in the trunk, and few roads were paved...TV existed in the city and was new and exciting if you could see through the snow. The lone Ranger and Tonto, Sky King, etc...... In an era when no tresspassing signs didn't exist, and you could hunt and fish virtually anywhere

Pardon me for "waxing poetic"........ My contempt for the modern lifestyle knows no bounds...... But I enjoy many of the amenities it offers..........you adapt and change, or you shrivel up and die. I've owned computers since well before DOS, not to mention Windows. I still fix my own vehicles, and am currently rebuilding a 2010 Subaru Outback (major engine overhaul). I know what a MAP is and TBI and MAF.....etc.

Then let me point out that I've lived with propane indoors for most of my life........I had no idea that it was "completely unsafe"...........But I also deal with 480 AC and water all the time, handle explosives as well as having about a dozen loaded guns in my home. I still fly an ultralight, and do white water kayaking, and cross country ski into the mountains alone in winter, and drive and hike into some of the most remote areas in the lower 48 in summer..... alone. I have all the airbag systems on my vehicles disabled, and often don't even bother with a seat belt.....The sholder strap irritates my neck. I drive Montana highways on ice at 70 mph in winter without flinching, but driving miles ahead of myself...... I've NEVER had any kind of accident.

My middle name is "unsafe"............

H. (unsafe) W.

One of these bad boy's would definitely speed up your boil, but I'm sure somebody would freak out and call the law........ :D

Flamethrower.jpg

I use a wood fire to reach strike temp and to boil. It takes ~30 minutes to boil but stays there easily. And chopping wood and feeding the fire is great!!

On second thought, I would not bother with a propane burner if you are going to stick with 1-2 gallon batches. Countertop induction plate as h22lude suggested or maybe a heat stick to pair with your range.

First off, I'd like to express...

:smack:

First off, I'd like to express my sympathy for those who live in anthills. It's a lifestyle so alien to me that I have difficulty relating to it. Presumably it is a lifestyle that provides for all your needs....... Or at least most of them....... the office cubicle expanded slightly into a living space. A place to sleep, ****, shower, and shave, cook meals, watch TV, and procreate the next generation, even further removed from real life and more dependent on this perverse system that enslaves Americans. Each man or woman having their own niche and specialty, and paying others to do everything outside that niche.
I grew up among ranchers and farmers, with the "can do" mindset.... Like them, I can build a house, fix a car or tractor, grow a crop, operate a drilling rig to drill my own well (I've owned two of them), drive a truck or a tractor, or run a combine or swather, run wiring, flood irrigate, fix a center pivot or wheel line, drop in a septic tank and run a drain field, fix a furnace, design, weld and fabricate tools and equipment, deliver a lamb or a calf, or probably a human baby, treat an injury, get a pickup or truck running, build a computer from pieces, and countless other things.
I knew homesteaders in my early years, lived where refrigeration was the spring house, and a cistern and pitcher pump provided water to the sink, and the Monarch stove was the hot water heater, the pot belly stove the home heating system, and the oil lamp was the light. Where we ran outside barefoot in the snow to the outhouse, and bathed once a week in a galvanized wash tub. Where the crank telephone was the latest technology, and the tube radio was connected to a wire strung through the trees. I listened to Ma Perkins and Gunsmoke on the radio. We carried water bags on the grill guard of our car, tools and baling wire in the trunk, and few roads were paved...TV existed in the city and was new and exciting if you could see through the snow. The lone Ranger and Tonto, Sky King, etc...... In an era when no tresspassing signs didn't exist, and you could hunt and fish virtually anywhere

Pardon me for "waxing poetic"........ My contempt for the modern lifestyle knows no bounds...... But I enjoy many of the amenities it offers..........you adapt and change, or you shrivel up and die. I've owned computers since well before DOS, not to mention Windows. I still fix my own vehicles, and am currently rebuilding a 2010 Subaru Outback (major engine overhaul). I know what a MAP is and TBI and MAF.....etc.

Then let me point out that I've lived with propane indoors for most of my life........I had no idea that it was "completely unsafe"...........But I also deal with 480 AC and water all the time, handle explosives as well as having about a dozen loaded guns in my home. I still fly an ultralight, and do white water kayaking, and cross country ski into the mountains alone in winter, and drive and hike into some of the most remote areas in the lower 48 in summer..... alone. I have all the airbag systems on my vehicles disabled, and often don't even bother with a seat belt.....The sholder strap irritates my neck. I drive Montana highways on ice at 70 mph in winter without flinching, but driving miles ahead of myself...... I've NEVER had any kind of accident.

My middle name is "unsafe"............

H. (unsafe) W.

Well that's all well and good, but I can order delivery from at least 10 different places at 3am.

Game, set, match.

:mug:

In all seriousness, if you've got the means to vent the exhaust (and the detector to know that you're venting enough), then do as you please. And if you don't, and want to take the risk, I won't stop you. But there's plenty of folks around here who die every year from CO poisoning while they sleep, and I don't think they're running a turkey fryer burner in their living room.

I use a heat stick in addition to a open coil elecyrix atovetop burner (2500w). Time to boil was reduced to 85 minutes to 25. They're a great investment. Once I move I plan on going full electric.

I thought this was a novel response. Has anyone tried this with great success or is it one step removed from wrapping your head in aluminum foil? (Remember, shiny side out to deflect psychotronic mind control radiation)
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/build.html

Pretty simple physics. The more insulation you have the less heat leaks out, the same idea as wearing a coat. Really helps with the thin-walled but huge dumpling steamer pot I use for BIAB. More layers of foil mo better.

I haven't done a boil yet, but will be starting in the next 30 minutes. However, I used my NUWAVE PIC Titanium cooktops for the mash. Awesome. 3.5 gallons for mash heated in under 20 minutes. I did 2 mashes in under an hour. Both for 5 gallon batches. Will let you know how long it takes to boil 6.5 gallons of wort.

Bill

Back