How do you pressure check a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I have 10 kegs and I would like to pressure check them as one or more of them may have a leak. They are all ball lock corny kegs of various origins (firestone, spartan, etc).

I was thinking I would just get a pressure gauge, hook up some tubing to connect it to the gas out, pressurize the keg to say 10 psi and let it sit for a few minutes or so and see if the gauge moved. Is this how you do it? Or is there a new kind of contraption I can build to do this?

Doesn't need to be that complicated. You can usually hear or feel a leak. Use your set up as you would to serve and pressurize to 30 lbs. you can do an extra leak test by mixing equal parts of water and dish soap and brush or spray on the posts and lid. If you have a leak you will see bubbles.

Or use your spray bottle already full of starsan to see if there's a bubbling. Aside from that EuBrew has it right. Pressurize the keg and look/listen.

Pressurize, wait a couple of days, open the pressure release valve. If you don't hear a whoosh it leaked.

Or pressurize to 30 and spray soap solution or Starsan and look for bubbles.

To save on CO2, I use an air compressor and fill the kegs to about 30, then let then sit for a day or 2. Also spray all fittings with starsan and look for leaks.

Back