How do you make wine properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmb

Reaction score
Big question, I know.

But I am surprised there isn't a sticky in this forum like there is in the beer brewing threads.

So, who has good, detailed processes that explain the pitfalls and proper process of wine making.

Thanks.

I've noticed that most of his recipes call for repeated racking and aging for far too long lol. Can't imagine what his house looks like. Jars and jugs everywhere... But yeah, he's the man.

I've noticed that most of his recipes call for repeated racking and aging for far too long lol. Can't imagine what his house looks like. Jars and jugs everywhere... But yeah, he's the man.

You should see mine! I have only a couple of empty 5 gallon carboys right now- the rest, from 1 gallon to 6 gallon carboys, and about 5 big primaries, are full of wine.

I don't agree that he requires repeated racking and aging for too long- it only takes as long as it takes, or as many rackings as needed. No one, especially Jack, would suggest racking a wine that doesn't need it!

I think good wines are a long process of racking and aging and tilting bottles . Now a wine to drink sometime this year is another story . I like mine and it only takes a couple months or even less depending on how I want it to taste .

I think good wines are a long process of racking and aging and tilting bottles . Now a wine to drink sometime this year is another story . I like mine and it only takes a couple months or even less depending on how I want it to taste .

What is this wonderwine of which you speak?

First off, FORGET about grapes (my opinion) and start with fruit wines from concentrate. They're a little less involved and some of the dirty work is already done for you. Or start with apple wine from farm fresh ciders, that's REALLY easy. The fruits are very good as young wines, IE you can drink straight from the secondary with minimal aging, but age will mellow them out if you have a high gravity recipe. Click on my recipe under my name for an apple recipe.

Time, patients , discipline. It can be very tough to let your wine develope. 6 months of aging time can turn a "meh" wine into something really nice to drink. If you just can't wait, put aside a bottle (or a case!) And give it that time.

Good luck and have fun. :)

my wine is usually dandelion . but not the kind you buy from a winery as I think they must only use dandelions to call it dandelion wine . I buy some from north dakota and it is just dandelions .
Mine has oranges , lemons ,. golden raisins and dandelions . It is a real citrus flavor for a while but after a month that starts to go down and the longer it sits the less flavor it has and it comes out like water and alcohol and then add in sugar to bring back the flavors to the point you like . I just stop the process when I like it and put it in the fridge . Not the proper method but it works .

There are so many ways to make wine, you will get so many different answers, what type of wine are you considering making? Fruit wine, wine from grapes?
Don't be intimidated by making wine from fresh grapes, it is a bit more work, but the end results are incredible, too many people shy away from making wine from fresh grapes.
You have several options:
Country (fruit) wines
Meads/melomels
Wine Kits
Wine from Juice buckets
Fresh Grape wine
I'll be more than happy to let you know how I make wine, step by step, let me know what you are planning on making.

although technically not "wine", skeeterpee.com is a great "quick" way to make a lot of inexpensive hard lemonade. About 40 days from start to stabilizing. EC-1118 or KV-1116 works very well.

By adding some tannin in the primary then back-sweetening with Lowell's Strawberry Syrup it makes a great party wine. About 30days of bulk aging helps, but is not entirely necessary.

enjoy,

robin850

Back