How do you know when conversion "took place"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
A lot of recipes out there say "mash for an hour or whenever conversion took place"... well how can one tell? I know in Palmers book, he wrote you get iodine and see if it changes colors, but is there an easier way/visual way without getting iodine?

whats so hard and non-visual about the iodine test. take a small sample and add a few drops of iodine. if it turns black you still have starch in your mash and should wait longer.

easy and visual.

A lot of recipes out there say "mash for an hour or whenever conversion took place"... well how can one tell? I know in Palmers book, he wrote you get iodine and see if it changes colors, but is there an easier way/visual way without getting iodine?

Tincture of iodine is about $1.40 at any pharmacy. I'm not sure if you are overestimating how hard it is to get iodine or how hard it is to do the test but it will be the easiest part of your brewday.

I'm slowly converting over to all grain and have only a limited experience with stove top partials and a single all grain recipe. So, maybe I'm way off base here, but I suppose you could calculate what the gravity of the wort in the tun would be after conversion, draw off a sample and measure it, but iodine's probably just as easy. Of course, I just make sure the temperature and grist to water ratio are correct and let it sit for an hour and don't do either. In theory, if the conditions are correct the mash could fully convert in 15 or 20 minutes, but leaving it an hour insures that everything has plenty of time to convert.

Why is it that every other friggin plastic bottle I have will seal just fine but invariably my Iodofor bottle won't.:mad: IMO, the staining is the biggest detriment to using it.

EDIT: I never do them either. I always wondered; how many times does one have to do something and never, ever, not once, ever have it make any difference until one stops doing it?

What if it's a stout? It's already black!

Whenever I'm showing someone how to brew I'll do a test at the beginning of the mash and leave it out to compare it to the one at the end. The difference - even in dark beers - is dramatic.

whats so hard and non-visual about the iodine test. take a small sample and add a few drops of iodine. if it turns black you still have starch in your mash and should wait longer.

easy and visual.

I dont have iodine. That's how it's hard.

edit: didnt know it was sold at pharamcys..good to know.

thanks

I did my first all grain saturday and I left it alone an hour after hitting mash temp., then took a pull off the wort and it was sugary and disgusting, so I figured I had conversion. ended up with a brewhouse efficiency of 79% and a higher mash efficiency.

I'm the type of Doctor that believes Beer is the best medicine. Other than that I got nothin.

And yeah it's from the song!

I use star san because I'm the type of Doctor that like bubbles.

Never thought of tasting it for sugar. I feel like I should do that just to learn.

Idorophor is good to have on hand even if you are using stars an or other sanitizing agent. I have always just used that. You can do the test in a glass or cup as well. Swish it around until it turns clear. The starch will make it turn friggin ink black. Keep it handy in a dropper bottle. The hour conversion time ensures the enzymes complete their conversions to the simplest sugars. Conversion is happening even in the boil kettle unless you mash out, which IMHO is a waste of time.

Back