How do you hit your volume on big IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
If you are brewing a double IPA for example (say 10 ounces of pellets in the boil) what do you do to make sure you get 5 gallons of beer at the end? I have been having issues losing beer in the hop sludge, I am just looking for what solutions people have devised.

Thanks

Just up your boil volume a little to compensate and adjust your gravity accordingly.

Exactly! Just scale the recipe up. Many of my recipes call for 5.5-6 gallons at the end of the boil, so that I can get 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermenter and then 5 finished gallons into the keg.

Just up your boil volume a little to compensate and adjust your gravity accordingly.

This. Some software has a hop absorption factor you can use, but I usually estimate about an extra quart per 4-5 ounces of pellets. Seems to get me pretty close most of the time. I enter it in BrewTarget as kettle to fermenter losses, so I just have to tweak my equipment profile if it's going to vary significantly from that standard.

Back