How do you heat your fermentation chamber? (Poll)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you heat your fermentation chamber?

• Heating Lamp

• Reptile Heating Pad

• Swamp Cooler w/heating element

• Blow Dryer

• Space Heater

• Heating Pad

• Brew Belt / FermWrap

• Other (please describe in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Paint can heater with 40W oven light bulb in a chest freezer with the STC-1000.

I went with the oven light after burning out two regular bulbs. Could have just been bad ones, but the oven light has worked well going on 4 years now. I have raised temps to 85+ for a saison in winter (~50F basement).

Rubbermaid tub and 100W aquarium heater here. Kept my ales warm in single digit lows. Thermal mass is my friend.

Big cooler full of water and a 150w aquarium heater.

Got a saison sitting at 88 degrees right now in a 58 degree basement. Works like a charm.

Last edited by a moderator:
eval, how do you regulate your carboy temperature? I am sure you have have some sort of a 12v power supply. Is it "well, that is close enough..", or "what will I do when it gets real cold?"

12V power supply connected to the heating side of the STC1000. My garage has heating and I keep the ambient temperature around 55F during winter.

Truth be told, it (blow drier) runs for a few minutes every few ours on the coldest days. The thermal shut off on the drier never engages and it works well. I'm using it on a Ranco controller in a chest freezer.

I watched it like a hawk when I started using it because just the notion of it scared the hell out of me but, since seeing it in action, I can't see needing to go to somthing else.

Oh yeah, it also has GFCI built into it. I'm using it on a GFCI circuit already so not so important for me but it's another way they try to keep ditsy teen girls from killing them selfs with them and makes me all the more confident my solid state temp controller has the intelligence to handle the job. :D

I use a blow drier too for all those same reasons. Plus it has it's own built in fan for recirculation. It works great, it's cheap, safe, and the best part is no diy required....just plug it in and set the ranco...done!!

I bought a $10 ceramic heater with a fan to circulate. Works perfect in a two door beverage cooler(something you would get a soda out of at a gas station) in an uninsulated garage. Outside temp last week was in the negatives and it maintained 65 degrees.

http://www.laskoproducts.com/myheat™-personal-heater-model-100/

Same here. I just built a fermentation chamber around a mini fridge and this is what I'm using for a heat source.

Right now I keep mine inside and they stay in the low 60s. I usually put hot water bottles in the Rubbermaid container and put my fermenter in there for a couple of days to get it up to 70 to finish it off.

Right now I keep mine inside and they stay in the low 60s. I usually put hot water bottles in the Rubbermaid container and put my fermenter in there for a couple of days to get it up to 70 to finish it off.

I use my MoreBeer heated/cooled conicle👍

There you have the beauty of this hobby! There are so many ways to get the job done!

Aquarium heater in a growler full of water (inside my ferm fridge). Works like a charm.

I bought a $10 ceramic heater with a fan to circulate. Works perfect in a two door beverage cooler(something you would get a soda out of at a gas station) in an uninsulated garage. Outside temp last week was in the negatives and it maintained 65 degrees.

http://www.laskoproducts.com/myheat™-personal-heater-model-100/

I have been leaning towards something like this, but am a little worried about how it is going to work.

For instance, I have a small ~5 cu. ft. fermentation chamber being operated by an STC-1000. The temp probe is insulated and taped against my plastic fermenting bucket. Therefore, it will be reading (close to) the temp of the beer, itself.

Let's say that the beer is currently 60F and needs to get up to 64F. The temp probe reads that the heat needs to kick on. The space heater starts running....and running....heating up the space. Now, the air in the chamber is going to heat up MUCH faster than the big thermal mass that is the wort (remember, the probe is measuring the temp of the beer). Given the nature of this type of heater, it is going to pump out much more heat than a slow, steady heating pad or something. To me, it seems like the chamber is going to get blazing (dangerously) hot since it will just keep running and running while the actual wort is taking longer to heat up.

Any experience with this?

I have the same size chamber as you. I tried to use a heater and watched it. It did get too hot, where the heater shut itself down before it could cause damage. It wasn't crazy hot, but hotter then those heaters should get because of such the small space. I've changed to the lightbulb method and it works a lot better. The slower heat makes me less nervous too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I have the same size chamber as you. I tried to use a heater and watched it. It did get too hot, where the heater shut itself down before it could cause damage. It wasn't crazy hot, but hotter then those heaters should get because of such the small space. I've changed to the lightbulb method and it works a lot better. The slower heat makes me less nervous too.

Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking.

Did you just buy a light fixture or build your own?

Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking.

Did you just buy a light fixture or build your own?

I built it using a light socket and an extension cord. I had them in my basement from when I renovated my house, so it was nice and cheap.

Not a chamber, per se. I use a ceramic space heater and a Johnson controller. I just have the heater 6 inches away from bucket on garage floor. I don't like the idea of a heater in an enclosed space.

I installed a light bulb socket & connected to my dual stage temp controller. Also have a small fan constantly circulating the air. Hot or cold.

image-3409641319.jpg

My chamber holds 5-6 carboys at a time.

I attached a reptile heating pad to an stc1000. The heating pad sits directly under fermenter. Works well so far. Wrapped fermenter in reflextix, the 16 watt heating pad can easily maintain a 10+ degree delta from ambient. I plan on building a chamber around the whole shebang and add cooling later

Top of food dehydrator in mini fridge chamber when the basement temp gets below 67 or using a Belgium strain.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

1388284619644.jpg

I use my MoreBeer heated/cooled conicle👍

So do I... problem is I often brew 2-4 beers in successive days. Then I use a refrigerator with a STC 1000 and a heating pad.... Turning a dorm fridge into a fermentation chamber today... cause it was free and you can never have too many fermentation chambers.... Doesn't often get cold around here, (except as of late) but will use a heating pad and STC 1000 for it as well.

Back