How do you get the stir bar out of the starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
So for my birthday, SWMBO got me 2 cigar boxes turned into yeast stir plates. Somehow she remembered 3 monthds ago when I was making constant laps around the kitchen to shake up my yeast starter. I mentioend something about stir plates and how they are useful but id never buy one myself

anyway, I sanitized the stir bar, dropped it in, and theyve been humming away. But I just realized....what do I do when I need to decant it and then pitch the damn thing? Whats your techniques to not pour the stir bar down the drain or into the wort?

oh $h1+, I just realized what that extra magnet that came with the stir plates is for....

nothing to see here,, move along folks

I use a magnet from a hard drive to 'grab' the stir bar through the glass of my starter jug. Then you can easily decant, pitch, etc. It's the same kind of magnet I used to make my stir plate. Got them from a hard drive.

Cheers and enjoy the brew.

Edit: Damn, too slow.

Just remember to "use" the magnet before you pitch your yeast. If you don't, then you have to remember to "use" it on your fermentation bucket/carboy. Been there, done that. Buy a pack of stir bars, eventually you'll need one.

oh $h1+, I just realized what that extra magnet that came with the stir plates is for....

nothing to see here,, move along folks

LOL, I read the title and said, "Is this a joke?" and came in here and was like... M00ps??? M00ps is asking this?? He drunk? :drunk: LOL.

But yeah, like KonaDog said, remember to use it before pitching your yeast. I think just about all of us have forgotten at least once. I bought extra stirbars just in case but have been good about it after the first and only time I'd forgotten.

Rev.

I forgot once and the stir bar went into my conical fermenter. I didn't think much about it until I opened the dump valve to dump some trub and yeast and the stir bar jammed the ball valve so it wouldn't close. Luckily, before the trub/yeast finished coming out and all the beer poured out on the floor, I grabbed another tri-clover valve and attached it to dump valve that was stuck open. I will never let the stir bar fall in the fermenter ever again!

I have two stir bars for this exact reason. One is always ready to make starters the other just gets dumped into the fermenter with my beer.

I drain my BK thru a stainless steel strainer into the bucket. I just dump the yeast(containing the stir bar) thru that strainer. Draining thru the strainer catches any large particles and aerates.

LOL, when I opened them, it had a spare capacitor and a magnet. I was like: sweet, I break stuff all the time, these should come in handy!

I made the mistake of dumping the stir bar once. When I went to dump trub in my connical it managed to get lodged in the dump port. I have no idea how I did it but I got it out and only took 2 gallons of beer to the face.

Back