How do you fine tune your pump flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
My new brew stand setup has been great (minus the still-to-be-completed control panel) but I want more fine tuned control over the flow rate coming off my pumps and into the kettle, sparge arm, etc...

Right now I've got 1/2" NPT quick disconnects on everything but I'd like to throw a fine control valve in front of the gross control ball valves. The ball valves tend to be too high or off most of the time.

As you can see from the photo, I'm on a single-tier setup with 2 Chugger pumps.

What does everyone else use?

IMG_3561[1].jpg

I've got ball valves on the outlets but it's still a gross control. I was thinking of a needle valve or something to really fine tune.

I agree the ball valves on the output can be finicky, but after using one on my pump for some time, I am pretty ballpark on where my flow is at

IMG_1271.jpg

Why not a gate valve? Much finer control than a ball. Once you open a ball about 1/4 way, it's not much of a pressure difference than fully opened. I didn't believe it myself till I tested it myself.

This is one reason I love my 24v dc pumps... no valves needed.... I use a knob on pwm speed controllers to control the pump speeds and since the pumps are so cheap ($20) I use 3 permanently mounted in my plumbing lines so no disconnecting and moving hoses needed while brewing...I just turn a couple 3 way valves when I want to redirect flow...

I suppose one could use router speed controllers with ac pumps? awfully pricey though compared to the $5 for a dc pwm controller.

Why not fill the coolers with water and fill a marked container with gallon increments to know what angle your ball valve needs to be for a specific flow? Or to know 45 degrees = X flow

I'm surprised your pumps work upside down... the inlet should be at the bottom and outlet on top.

I use ball valves on my center inlet chugged pumps with no problem. I can do very fine adjustments. do you have poor fine motor skills?

I was thinking of a needle valve or something to really fine tune.

A needle valve could be highly prone to plugging up with solids.
Not advised for any use other than strike water.

Hard for me to understand why you would have trouble regulating flow adequately with ball valves?

This is one reason I love my 24v dc pumps... no valves needed.... I use a knob on pwm speed controllers to control the pump speeds and since the pumps are so cheap ($20) I use 3 permanently mounted in my plumbing lines so no disconnecting and moving hoses needed while brewing...I just turn a couple 3 way valves when I want to redirect flow...

I suppose one could use router speed controllers with ac pumps? awfully pricey though compared to the $5 for a dc pwm controller.

I thought of this but I don't think it's advised to screw with the power going into the pumps. I've been told doing so can stress them and greatly reduce their life expectancy.

Back