How do you all attach lines to your mash tuns and boil kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Viking

Beer Lover
Reaction score
It looks like the final step for me to take before I do my first all grain batch is just getting and finding a way of easily attaching my lines to my mash tun and to my boil kettle. It would really help if you could show me some pictures of how you all do it.

Thanks!

I use quick disconnects from a brew supplier to the north. I am sure they are as good as most other QD but you only get what you pay for. I do not love them. They work as promised but if I were starting over I would invest in tri clamp. Battling leaks at the most inconvenient moments is infuriating.
I made reinforced silicone lines after trying lesser strength hoses and getting a bath or two when accidentally over pressuring. My strategy is to have female QD on all the vessels. Then I made short, medium, and long with male QD and female QD on the ends. One short and one long with male QD on both ends connect vessel to vessel when no pump is involved.
This strategy work on my 3 tier. QDs get hot fast. Wear gloves.
FC93E449-BC8A-49CB-BD7D-2758B30C20B3.jpeg

Male connectors on all vessels and "stationary" equipment here, such as plate chiller, pump, etc. Female connectors on all hoses, to prevent damage to the fittings. It makes every connection universal.

To have a 1/2" bore nearly all the way through, I use mostly 1/2" Camlocks everywhere. On hoses Hi-flow Cam Big C or Cam Kit BL.
Cam Big C: Threads on a Cam C machined into a single edge hose barb.
Cam Kit BL: Threads on a Street Elbow machined into a single edge hose barb + Cam B.

Those are to avoid the narrow, flow limiting standard "barbs" of the regular Cam C.

https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1844.htm
I still have a barb on my mash tun (outlet) valve, I clamp a piece of hose over that to fill or drain. Could be changed to Cam locks too, but there's little need or advantage.

Everything 1/2" - pipe thread, hoses, etc.
Tool-less hose clamps, the ones w/ the keys built in
Blichmann quick connectors, straight or right angled

The quick connectors make it pretty easy to move things around as needed, and the tool-less clamps make it easy to tear apart to clean at the end of the day.

There are probably better setups but it works well for me.

Examples:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Spyder-Turn-Key-All-Stainless-Clamp--716--78_p_7849.html
https://www.homebrewing.org/12-Straight-Quick-Connect-Blichmann-_p_2118.html

I measured the thickest point on my boil kettle's vavle and it is just over 1.1". I have no idea what to attach to the valve or if I should just get a bigger line that is over 1.1" and clamp it on every time?

Attachments

• IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
I use all SS QDs and 1/2 silicone hoses. I put male QDs on every piece of equipment, tanks, pumps, chillers, HERMS, etc. I use female QDs on both ends of my hoses. This set up makes it easy to safely connect and disconnect hoses from hot equipment without burning my hands.

Attachments

• IMG_20210614_202815633.jpg
    IMG_20210614_202815633.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
I would use 3/4 " reinforced silicone to attach to a Center Inlet Pump like the Chugger Dry Max. Remember that you can control the flow on the Outlet of the pump and never on the supply side. We also fill our vessel backwards through the pumps to prime them. We leave everything in place and clean in place. We do have separate pumps for each vessels and never disconnect a hose during brewing (a trip to an Emergency Room prompted that). We brewed for years with out issues. We do occasionally take the manifold apart to inspect, but it has always been clean. We do clean it for a couple of hours after we brew. We clean the MLT part while we are Boiling and then use the same PBW to clean the Brew Kettle.

The Cold side of the brewery needs to be very clean and sanitized. The hot side can be more forgiving. Years ago we had a Blickmann valve with the bolts holding it together. We brewed about two years and I decided to take it apart an clean it. It needed it! Obviously during those two years, the valve was not pristine, but we never had and issues with contamination.

That looks like half inch FPT to me. You would measure the inside diameter not the outside diameter. FPT means female pipe thread. You would put a male pipe thread into…..,,,,,Well you know. ;)

Thanks for posting, it really helps. I'm not good with plumbing/ pipe fitting. The ID of the valve is .8" (.9 if I include the threading). I understand now that I need to attach something into the valve and then attach my line to that piece, but I have no idea what piece I need to order. I found the exact boil kettle I have online if someone could tell me what I need to get. Thanks!

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/304ss-33l-pot-mashking-w-holes.html

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, it really helps. I'm not good with plumbing/ pipe fitting. The ID of the valve is .8" (.9 if I include the threading). I understand now that I need to attach something into the valve and then attach my line to that piece, but I have no idea what piece I need to order. I found the exact boil kettle I have online if someone could tell me what I need to get. Thanks!

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/304ss-33l-pot-mashking-w-holes.html
What's the number above 304 on the valve body? Looks like it says 1/2 but I can't quite tell.

What's the number above 304 on the valve body? Looks like it says 1/2 but I can't quite tell.

You are correct, it says 1/2 above 304. The valve inside could be 1/2 an inch but I think the ID is .8-.9 of an inch, at least at the opening. I really know nothing about plumbing though like I said but I don't think this company would make a boil kettle that was not compatible with common parts.

You are correct, it says 1/2 above 304. The valve inside could be 1/2 an inch but I think the ID is .8-.9 of an inch, at least at the opening. I really know nothing about plumbing though like I said but I don't think this company would make a boil kettle that was not compatible with common parts.
The inside diameter of the male piece is 1/2".

The inside diameter of the male piece is 1/2".
The inside diameter of the tubing itself (approximately). Then there is the tubing thickness. You could then cut threads with a die at the tubing end to make a male end to which you could screw on a female fitting. So it's helpful when it is stamped but not always the case!

The 304 references the type of stainless steel.

The Mash Tun outlet should be a standard 1/2 NFPT. It looks like the 2 piece ball valves on the website are standard 1/2 ". I would suggest that you put the ball valve into the kettle and the rest of your plumbing on the outlet of the ball valve. You can get most fittings (Cam Lock, Hose Barb or Tri Clover with standard 1/2" NPT in either male or female. I would bet that the Mash Tun fitting is Female and the 2 piece ball valve is Male on one end and female on the other. That means you screw the ball valve into the Mash Tun and then what connector you are using (like a 1/2" Hose barb) that has a male NPT 1/2" on the other side of the barb. Regardless of what you use, this can easily be changed in the future for only money and some time.

Last edited:
1/2id Camlocks and 1/2id silicone tubing everywhere. Male connecters threaded into the tun, kettle & pump and female ends in all of the hoses as Murph did above.

Last edited:
If camlock; I think you’d be looking for type F male to thread into the valve, then a C or Big C female for the tubing ends. No nipple unless you’re trying to move it out further. Use a type A male if your attaching it to something with male npt threads

Last edited:
The third one, the one for the hose and clamp, can I just order that and attach it and then order 1/2" ID silicon tubing and I'm good to go? Will I need Teflon tape to attach it?

Yes and sort of. I'd suggest "pipe dope" instead of tape, but that's a personal preference and tape will do. Just make sure to wrap it the right direction so that threading the fitting in place doesn't undo your tape job.

Just got a Riptide Pump.

in the literature:

If using NPT pipe fittings, always wrap the threads in Teflon tape to prevent galling of the threads. Galled threads are not covered under warranty.

and

WARNING: Always secure hoses with clamps to insure they do not come off during use.

I'd suggest "pipe dope" instead of tape
Something like Blue Monster or a special "food grade" pipe dope? I can imagine some dope may get in contact with the wort, squeezing out on the inside while threading.

I've never had problems using tape, white, yellow, or other, thicker tape. But I may add an extra turn (or 2 or 3), where needed.

For example I had some trouble re-sealing the shut off valves in aluminum body gas manifolds while positioning them to face the front once tightened. This was after cleaning out the cutting grease, metal shavings, and whatnot. Since the material is thin, there are only 2-3 turns of thread in those. Using a little pipe dope as well may have helped making positive seals.

I think you meant to write this:
"Use a type A male if your attaching it to something with female npt threads"

Such as valves.
I thought “A “ had female threads. Maybe that’s the wrong one. one has a male thread to screw into, one has a female thread to screw onto- like a plate chiller or nipple

I switched from cam-lock to the ball-lock QD fittings soon after I started brewing again last year. Just too much of a PITA to connect up the cam-locks. With the ball-lock style, I can make the connection with one hand.

I have male fittings on all kettle (or stationary items as already mentioned) and female on all the hoses. Hose fittings are also the full bore size, so 5/8" barbs to get an actual 1/2" ID on the fitting. My kettles have 1-1/2" TC fittings on them, so I just connect the matching TC to QC fittings as needed. Plate chiller has a male QD fitting on the wort in and a TC fitting on the wort out. That allows me to place the oxygen infusion setup onto the plate chiller and not have it move on me (rotate). Pump heads are center inlet, but also TC connections, so no NPT adapters needed.
NOT having any NPT fittings on almost everything (except the wort in on the plate chiller) is a HUGE plus IMO. I have butterfly valves everywhere except the MT recirculation inlet fitting (ball valve there) and the plate chiller outlet to control chilling temperature. All valves are TC connections. Even with the higher cost of the TC fittings, the ease of disassembly more than makes it worth it (IMO).

I also ditched worm clamps ages ago. With the oversized barbs on the female/hose fittings, you don't need them. On all my keg lines I have oetiker clamps since they simply don't leak, ever. I've had nothing but problems anytime I've tried using worm clamps. Even the "butterfly" style (on the glycol chiller lines, before going to oetiker clamps there).

I also make it a point to have reserve 1/2" ID tubing on hand in case I either need to make a different length line, or want to replace what's already in use. Once they reach a certain level of discoloration, I 'retire' the old piece. I do try a PBW soak before that though. But with the barb size I'm using, changing pieces is actually pretty easy.

Yes and sort of. I'd suggest "pipe dope" instead of tape, but that's a personal preference and tape will do. Just make sure to wrap it the right direction so that threading the fitting in place doesn't undo your tape job.

Thanks for the help! I'll order and try to install it ASAP. Which way is the right way to wrap the tape?

Last edited:
Which way is the right way to wrap the tape?
With the fitting side facing toward you (threads facing away) tape goes on counter-clockwise.

Hold the fitting in your left hand, threads pointing toward your right hand, wind the tape on counter-clockwise, tape coming from underneath toward you.

Something like Blue Monster or a special "food grade" pipe dope?

Excellent point, sorry I didn't mention it specifically. Here's what I've been using for a few years, and have sort of forgotten about why I specifically bought it (that it's OK for drinking water):

https://www.mcmaster.com/45855K5/
When I use it, the act of screwing the fittings together tends to push the excess towards the outside where it can be wiped off, but yes, choose safety.

Which way is the right way to wrap the tape?

The description given should work but - just think of the direction the male threads will screw into the female side. wrap the tape in a direction that will have the fitting threads smooth the tape out, not go against it and bunch it up. It'll get to be intuitive after you try it I think.

It's worked very well for my 28 years of brewing. It's easy, cheap and I don't have to worry about cleanliness(whethter it's a real issue or not is irrelevent).
I have always been worried about how clean these types of connections are. We now are only really concerned about the cold side once the wort is chilled. We sanitize everything with hot water from our HLT while we are brewing. As a minimum we pass 180 Degree F water through the plate chiller and the hose to the fermentor for at least 45 minutes. Many times it is longer. We don't worry to much on the hot side although we do clean everything (in place normally) after we brew, but just let air dry for the next brew. We have a permanent manifold that we rarely take apart. We do occasionally inspect it but have never found any issues. The cold side (plate chiller onward) we do extra cleaning and pass starsan then let dry. We then sanitize while boiling.

We have a lot of TC Fitting because we though everything had to be super clean and sanitized, but now only know better.

On the Hot side, any connection you want to make is going to be fine and ease of use should be a prime consideration. It does take two people to make a TC connection if the pipe is hot to touch.

We did use the Kent Disconnects for many years and we might go back to those for any hoses that we move (mostly for cleaning and filling vessels with water).

We would never put any valve on the Cold Side past any chiller.

I have always been worried about how clean these types of connections are. We now are only really concerned about the cold side once the wort is chilled. We sanitize everything with hot water from our HLT while we are brewing. As a minimum we pass 180 Degree F water through the plate chiller and the hose to the fermentor for at least 45 minutes. Many times it is longer. We don't worry to much on the hot side although we do clean everything (in place normally) after we brew, but just let air dry for the next brew. We have a permanent manifold that we rarely take apart. We do occasionally inspect it but have never found any issues. The cold side (plate chiller onward) we do extra cleaning and pass starsan then let dry. We then sanitize while boiling.

We have a lot of TC Fitting because we though everything had to be super clean and sanitized, but now only know better.

On the Hot side, any connection you want to make is going to be fine and ease of use should be a prime consideration. It does take two people to make a TC connection if the pipe is hot to touch.

We did use the Kent Disconnects for many years and we might go back to those for any hoses that we move (mostly for cleaning and filling vessels with water).

We would never put any valve on the Cold Side past any chiller.
I have a 3 tiered pump fed system with an immersion chiller to get the temp down under 100F, and then a copper coil in an ice bath to do the final chill. The pump is to recirculate through the kettle, and eventually to the fermenter. So everything that's on the hot side eventually is on the cool side. I use one hose to transfer from the hot liquor tank into the mash tun, then that hose goes from the mash tun to the kettle, so pulling it off a barb is the simplest solution. At the end of the brewing session I pump 4-5 gallons of boiling water through the entire tubing system to clean it, and recirculating at 200F takes care of any lingering infectables(?).

Back