How do you add rice extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman17

Reaction score
How do you add rice extract? A friend of mine is trying to talk me into adding rice extract to a pilsner. I have never done it before.

How do you add rice extract? A friend of mine is trying to talk me into adding rice extract to a pilsner. I have never done it before.

Don't do it! Unless you're making an American Pilsner, adjuncts are not appropriate for style. That said, if you're trying to make an American style lager, just add it in 10 minutes before the boil ends and stir it up.

When i have used it, i dissolved it in a gallon of hot water and added it at flameout. It doesnt seem to dissolve nearly as easily as dme.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397968559.297361.jpg
This recipe calls for 1.25 lbs of rice solids after you sparge your grains and bring to a boil, then add your rice, DME and your hops. I personally have never used rice before so don't take my word for it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Depending on the hop schedule and target IBU I would add the rice at the very end of the boil or a the last 5 min anyway, unless you need the gravity points of the rice to keep the hops in check.

Cheers
Jay

I added the rice extract with 10 mins left in the boil. My gravity was much higher then predicted. Went to look at the fermenter this morning and found Krakatowa. It was close to a raging volcano. I also made a yeast starter with 2 White Labs Pilser Yeast. They were both about 30 days over there freshness. I though it woulds be a good idea...

And that's what we get for thinking. I remember thinking a half gallon was enough head space for my first batch of beer. The foam was likewise erupting from my s type airlock. Have you ever tried to clean foam out of an s type airlock?

But hey, we live, we learn, we make better beer for it, right?

Back