How do people add the pvc tubing to chillers like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have attached the image of a chiller I am about to buy.
I am just wondering how people add the vinyl tubing to it so that it would never drip? I was thinking of using a plastic strip seal on the black rubber ending....but I am afraid of doing so, because I am sure I will need to tighten it a lot and surely in the long run the force from the plastic strip seal will destroy the rubber ending of the chiller. Or am I wrong? :)

Can you post an image of how you added the vinyl tubing to your chiller that has a similar rubber ending like the one in the image?

serpentin_inox.jpg

Aren't those black rubbery things just slide-on end caps to prevent dirt from getting in? I don't think they are end pieces or connects.

Just put good hose clamps on the PVC tubing.

Aren't those black rubbery things just slide-on end caps to prevent dirt from getting in? I don't think they are end pieces or connects.

Just put good hose clamps on the PVC tubing.

thanks for the quick reply.

I was told hose clamps wont hold pvc tubing tight enough on metal.....is it true?

PVC is rigid. Wouldn't you use vinyl tubing instead? Doesn't the seller offer the connections or a spec sheet on how to attach to a faucet?

PVC is rigid. Wouldn't you use vinyl tubing instead? Doesn't the seller offer the connections or a spec sheet on how to attach to a faucet?

Just sent an email to them.

I am wrong about the tube....it is vinyl, not rigid PVC.

I actually dont want to connect this chiller to anything but a pump. I'll fill up a big bucket and run the water from it into the chiller. So, I only need to connect the vinyl to the input and output ends of the chiller and to an 8 mm plastic joint that is connected to the pump. The vinyl tube fits perfectly on the connector (no clamps or else is necessary).
Here is an image of the connector that goes to into the pump:

IMG-20140706-WA0008.jpg

I think you are over thinking it. The vinyl tubing and a couple of small hose clamps will work perfectly to make a watertight seal on that chiller.

Vinyl tubing and hose clamps.

I'd slightly bend the ends down just a bit on the chiller (where the tubing is connected). That way, if you spring a small leak, the dribbling water should run away from the kettle.

I'd also double check that the inner diameter of your vinyl is compatible with the the outer diameter of your chiller. I bought one last week (largely based on having read through your how to chill in a flat thread so thanks for that) and had to do a bit of stretching of the vinyl to go over my pump connector. I'd bought the chiller with tubing attached and the outer diameter of the tubing and my smallest pump attachment was the same which I think won't prove to be ideal as my flow through the chiller seems pretty slow.

I have attached the image of a chiller I am about to buy.

I am just wondering how people add the vinyl tubing to it so that it would never drip? I was thinking of using a plastic strip seal on the black rubber ending....but I am afraid of doing so, because I am sure I will need to tighten it a lot and surely in the long run the force from the plastic strip seal will destroy the rubber ending of the chiller. Or am I wrong? :)

Can you post an image of how you added the vinyl tubing to your chiller that has a similar rubber ending like the one in the image?

I get round clamps from my LHBS. They require a clamping tool but are most effective & apply equal pressure around the tubing which can be a problem w/ hose clamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

These work fine also.

SNP-10.jpg

Tight fitting vinyl tubing and a couple of these on each lines has worked for me.

The temp is only elevated at near boiling for a few minutes.

'da Kid

I'd go with 1/2" npt double ferrule and add a barb to whatever diameter you need for the hose.

Back