How do I store crushed grains for 24hrs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I am brewing tomorrow, but my LHBS is not open so I had them crush the grains (I don't have a mill{{YET}}). How should I store them until tomorrow? Does it matter if I simply let them sit in my kitchen in the paper bag from the LHBS?

They'll be just fine out overnight. I used to store crushed grain in the fridge for months, but you'll need to put it in an airtight bag for that.

-Joe

Yeah you have nothing to worry about. I rarely use grain the same day that I crush it.

Quick answer: In a bag.

What about the guys that have their grain crushed prior to shipping. They are just fine. What about the guys with kits that contain crushed grain. They are fine. \\

Just don't do anything crazy like stick them in the fridge. That will alter the tempurature of the strike water needed to hit your mash temp.

Just don't do anything crazy like stick them in the fridge. That will alter the tempurature of the strike water needed to hit your mash temp.
Crazy, seriously? So adjust your strike water temp. Even if they're not in the fridge you'll have to calculate the proper strike temp so you're not doing any extra work.

-Joe

I have to agree with Nostalgia on this one, I take the grain temp when calculating my strike water every time, it sure beats guessing and having to add boiling water to raise the bed temp, or stirring to lower it. the grain temp should always be a factor in calculating the mash temp.

I order all of my grain crushed, and I typically order several batches worth of grain at a time. I usually store it for a month or two in sealed plastic bags. I don't like the fridge because it takes up space. Also, I live in the south, so the humidity will wet the grain before it hits the mash tun if you take it out very long before mixing time. Cold grain and warm moist air make for a sticky situation.....

Your grain will be fine for what you are talking about doing.

I usually pick up my ingredients during the week and then brew on the weekends. My grain comes home in a paper bag and if I'm not brewing in a day or two I put that bag into a ziplock, squeeze the air out and put it in the fridge. It's easy to take it out in the morning and let it warm up if I don't want to change my calculations for strike temp. Call me crazy.

Dude I keep my crushed grain in a plastic bag in the basement for a month or so before I get around to having a brew day with no ill effects...

I usually crush on brew day. But when I can't it goes in a garbage bag that's placed in a 5 gallon HD bucket. Keeps the cat and the kids out of dad's goodies.

I always crush the day before I brew. It just sits in the bucket in my basement until the next day; no worries.

My son stored some crushed grain in Ziploc bags for 8 months one time, when his brewing was interrupted by a move and other delays. The porter he made from the grain was delicious, I drank some.

"How do I store crushed grains for 24hrs?? "

Some have succes storing them in their mash tuns wet at around 150 -154 degrees for 24 hours, some like to let the temp drop a bit to get that nice sour tang...:mug:

Back